Light pole base, wet or damp location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Would you consider a standard light pole base with a cover for access a wet or damp location? The AHJ is questioning if my splices should be treated as wet locations terminations. I have always considered a light base as a damp location. I guess there could be a flood someday but that seems ridiculous to wire for that scenario. Help!

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
So for all practical purposes the AHJ can call this a wet or damp location. As long as I use dual rated conductors THHN / THWN (or any other approved conductor) and splice with gel filled wire nuts listed for wet locations I should be fine.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've only ever seen regular wire nuts in light poles, it's also what we use.

I point them up though, like an umbrella, just in case though....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would the splice compartment in a light pole be the same as the inside of a junction box in a wet location?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I've only ever seen regular wire nuts in light poles, it's also what we use.

I point them up though, like an umbrella, just in case though....

Just like most all normal electricians do.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Would the splice compartment in a light pole be the same as the inside of a junction box in a wet location?

I would say no. A junction box in a wet location is much more prone to retaining water whether it be by drivin rain or simple condensation if weep holes are not drilled into it.

A splice made inside the compartment of a light pole is much better since the splice is most always 6 or 8 inches above the pole base, and, any moisture that may accumulate inside the pole ends up draining out the bottom on it's own. :)

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would say no. A junction box in a wet location is much more prone to retaining water whether it be by drivin rain or simple condensation if weep holes are not drilled into it.

JAP>

Does the NEC consider the inside of the box a wet or damp Iocation?

rcarroll

IMO, If it did, we'd have to use all wiring suitable for wet locations, Weather Resistant breakers & fuses for all panel installed outdoors. :D
All the light poles I've wired, all the covers had gaskets. I was never required to have water proof splices, nor do I require them on inspections.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I guess that would all depend on the type of box being installed , but, if a box was installed that was rated for a wet or damp location, I would hope not.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
IMO, If it did, we'd have to use all wiring suitable for wet locations, Weather Resistant breakers & fuses for all panel installed outdoors. :D
All the light poles I've wired, all the covers had gaskets. I was never required to have water proof splices, nor do I require them on inspections.

Your going to have to use wiring suitable for a wet location anyway, because the raceway leading to the box or pole light is considered a wet location.

The OP's talking about the termination method being used, not the conductors.

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, wet location conductors but the splice point in the interior of the pole base should be a dry location just like the inside of a junction box.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I guess one could argue that the pole itself was an outdoor raceway, which just as the inside of an outdoor conduit, was considered a wet location before they cut the hand hole and cover into it making it into nothing more than a long cylindrical shaped wet location rated junction box so that normal wire nuts could be used. :)

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.