Light pole next to a bund wall for diesel tanks

GnomeDaddy

Occupation
Electrical Supervisor,
I have looked and I will be outside of the hazardous location area. what I am concerned about is I can't find anything saying I can not attach to the bund wall but I am hoping some one with more experience then I might be able to give me some insight.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'm assuming you're fastening a light pole to the wall. Will the wall be supporting the entire weight of the pole+light? Is the wall strong enough to resist the turning force of the pole trying to pull the wall down?
Are there restrictions, either code or legal?
I'm also assuming that whatever you do can not degrade the protection the wall is designed to provide!

GnomeDaddy

Occupation
Electrical Supervisor,
I'm assuming you're fastening a light pole to the wall. Will the wall be supporting the entire weight of the pole+light? Is the wall strong enough to resist the turning force of the pole trying to pull the wall down?
Are there restrictions, either code or legal?
I'm also assuming that whatever you do can not degrade the protection the wall is designed to provide!
The plan is to epoxy rebar in the bund wall horizontally to make a cold joint between the bund and pole base which will be 2' x 2' x 4' to 6' tall the top of the pole base will be even with the top of the bund wall. And will also be about 1.5' under ground on a 5/8 minus bed. Which is equal to WSDOT standard plans an the pole is going to have anchor bolt the are 5/8 x 2.5' L bolts with a rebar cage. The pole itself is only 15' aluminum with 2 LED heads to assist with fuelling early morning. The planned base is rated for a 50' pole with a 10' mast arm.

GnomeDaddy

Occupation
Electrical Supervisor,
I would not be anywhere near the wall without approval of the engineers that designed it.
The problem is is the wall is a 20+ year old wall and in this case nobody even knows who the engineer would have been. Where I work is an interesting location as it has sections that are from the early 90's that haven't been renovated. this location being one of them. any suggestions?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The problem is is the wall is a 20+ year old wall and in this case nobody even knows who the engineer would have been. Where I work is an interesting location as it has sections that are from the early 90's that haven't been renovated. this location being one of them. any suggestions?
I think I would not be going anywhere near that wall. What happens if after you installed the pole it blew over and took part of the wall with it?

At the very least I would be looking for cover from someone far up the food chain.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The customer should hire an engineer to calculate the static and dynamic loads on the wall for this attachment before anyone installs the light.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When someone decided they wanted a light installed, they put in a request. This request went up the food chain getting various approvals along the way. Usually this would include approval from environmental. Maybe an email to that person is in order.

GnomeDaddy

Occupation
Electrical Supervisor,
why not just exclusively mount this to the ground like any other normal light pole?
Because the pole needs to be close to the fuel depot but the underground pipping and such is so old there are no redlines. but I think I have the right way to handle this now an who would be my next contact. I looked into it an found some old WSDOT standards for a spread footer light pole that eliminates the need to go so deep. Krusscher I appreciate your input and everyone else who advised me on my path.