Light switch location

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyrpb

Can anyone tell me if and where the NEC states how far from a doorway a light switch is required. There is a switch located about 6 feet from a doorway and my inspector failed it. I would like to see it in the code book!

Thanks to all

Vinny in Florida

bphgravity

Re: Light switch location

The code only specifies switch location for interior stairwells and storage or equipment space. (Article 210.70(A)(2)(c) & (3))

Other than that, the code does not specify exact switch location for required lighting outlets. Always check local codes, job specifications, and blueprints. :)

Also, I think the ADA and NFPA 101 has some specs on this, not sure what they are exactly. :confused:

[ May 04, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

hbendillo

Nothing in the NEC of which I am aware. However, a bad choice for a location. If I was the owner that would have been on my punch list. You must have had a better alternative to the location if the inspector flagged you for it but since it is not a code situation maybe you can get it passed based on promise to solve the problem.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by hbendillo:
but since it is not a code situation maybe you can get it passed based on promise to solve the problem.
:confused: This is an odd statement. There is no violtaion therefore there is no "promise to solve the problem" neccesary.(At least according to the NEC) NEC calls for at least "one wall switch controlled lighting outlet". That's it! No location specified. Now what about your local code or building code. Either way the inspector should be able to cite a specific code rule if their is a problem.

jes25

The problem is inspectors try to enforce "what they would do" not what the code is.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Vinny where are you in florida,I too have had some serious issues but have been able to resolve them for the most part.Others here will rell you I comply but have trouble with a gray area installation that is tagged at the end of the job.For spacing ?? A wall is a wall in rough or trim. Last week my inspector tagged a final for spacing.I considered it a hall way,but he stated usable wall spacing.I went out to the board and he signed off the rough???? Did it change no.Just B_ _ _ _ _ _ ng about the way it has become,thanks guys for the ear to bend.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I forgot to answer the post...A switch for any light can be anywhere the code only says it must be switch controlled(or motion sencored under exception)If you want to control all lighting from one point that is code compliant residentialy.Even if it`s you master bedroom.

electricmanscott

Last week my inspector tagged a final for spacing.I considered it a hall way,but he stated usable wall spacing [/QB]
This one comes up alot. The kicker is the NEC says nothing about "Usable wall space". Some people think you don't count the space behind a door for receptacle spacing because it is not usable wall space. Those people are wrong. By the way, Allen, was it a hallway or not?

pierre

I know this has been mentioned many times before, but the NEC is a safety document, and not a design document. And as well there are some inspectors who still insist on installations according to their own thoughts.
The NEC does not have too many locations mentioned as far as switch locations - such as say a living room, dining room or kitchen - which is permitted to have one switch located in any part of the room. As far as customer satisfaction :) .
Another thought to keep in mind is the other codes that are relevant to construction, such as ADA, building codes, life safety, etc... The NEC is only one of the codes and standards the installer/contractor is responsible for.

Pierre

ryan_618

Originally posted by a.wayne3@verizon.net:
Last week my inspector tagged a final for spacing.I considered it a hall way,but he stated usable wall spacing.I went out to the board and he signed off the rough????
Hi Allen. You really struck a nerve with me here. As an inspector myself, one of things that I refuse to do is embaress myself at the final. I have been called hard before (man, many, many times), but I have never been called unfair. If I miss an outlet at the rough, than that is my fault as much as it is yours.

I did an inspection today on a rough and called about 25 box fill violations. Again, I've been called hard. Now, if I do the final on this house and there just happens to be a 2' section of wall without an outlet in it...well, that 2' section of wall just doesn't get an outlet.

pierre

Ryan
I understand how one may feel about an inspector missing some item during a roughing, making the contractor not responsible for the requirement at the final, but I do not agree with that thought.

An inspector spends a very small proportion of time at the job compared to the installer, and cannot be accountable for every item that is 'not' installed. Maybe that wall space was added? The contractor is ultimately responsible and should be aware of the codes as well as the inspectors.

As you know, I have started an inspection company - prior to that I have been in the industry almost 30 years, the last 16 years as an electrical contractor.
I have always tried to stay on top of the code, and it has been my best weapon against those inspectors who want it their way. It has also helped to keep me in the position of passing my finals.
My very short experience has shown me that there are some contractors who will fail inspections with the idea that the inspector is laying the job out for him so he does not have to open his code book, as a matter of fact most of them have never owned a code book.

I was taught that as an electrical contractor, I am ultimately responsible for the job, and I feel that way as an inspector as well.

Pierre

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Ryan I admire you being stand up like that.To me if it passed on rough for wall spacing then how on a final can it get tagged for the same wall.I have no problem with an inspector citing articles that are in violation of the nec.Box fill,spacing,1 1/4",etc.To answer the other question was it a hallway or not.To me no you exited the laundry room turned right the dining room was on the right this area led to the family room and kitchen.In this model I now have crews spacing to code.Just a question who here uses the 2 ft. rule in a kitchen ??Lets say a 26 in wall as you enter the kitchen with a 4 gang box for lighting.This wall is backing a refridgerator then counter space.We are having to add a receptacle to every wall in a kithen that is 2 ft.

wayne123

I just had the same situation with the location of a switch in a loft area. I put a 4-way for two fan lights on the stairway leading up to the loft because there are no walls on the loft. The owner is installing picket railing around the loft so there is no place to put a switch. The inspector sited me for this and told me that a switch must be up there somewhere since it is a second level. So I put one in a hip wall about three ft. off of the floor. He passed the rough in anyway.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by a.wayne3@verizon.net:
Just a question who here uses the 2 ft. rule in a kitchen ??Lets say a 26 in wall as you enter the kitchen with a 4 gang box for lighting.This wall is backing a refridgerator then counter space.We are having to add a receptacle to every wall in a kithen that is 2 ft.
I don't get the example. If the fridge is there it's not wall space. Otherwise spacing requirements apply and I install receptacels there.

racraft

How do you plug the refrigerator in if there is no receptacle on the wall?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

210.52(A)(2) will require a receptacle on this 26" wall even if there is no countertop at that location.
Don

hurk27

I think this says it all:
210.52(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen , family room, dining room , living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specified in 210.52(A)(1) through (A)(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.