Light switch location

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: Light switch location

Don that is what I am asking. The wall is like an entry to the kitchen but 26 ins. enter the kitchen the fridge is to the right and then counter space beyond that.counter spacing is met but when you measure along the floor line 26 ins. and then 36 for the fridge and return 24 in to the wall,the 6 ft rule is not met.i have an inspector that that is citing this.Although it is in the NEC it`s assinine any thoughts???????

ryan_618

I can think of three locations my personal home's kitchen that I could put a refrigerator. If I want to move my fridge to a 26" wall space in my kitchen, there better be a receptacle there.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Ryan its not a receptacle for a fridge.This is just a wall 26 ins. that is in a kitchen.I dont see the need to have a receptacle there but he cites 250 10 A 2,I can`t argue the ruling just wondering if others have had the same thing.

jimwalker

Allen i have had it inforced in kitchens too.There is no fighting it.The code is not gray at all on this.It is a waste of money.210-52 2 a

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

wow brother a blast from the past,where have you been!!!!!

missdella

I wish you could draw a picture here. I think I "see" what you're talking about with this 26" wall space and then refrigerator, then counter. I'm guessing the wall space is somewhat flush with the front of the refrigerator and edge of counter as you enter the kitchen. The doorway to the kitchen has one side of it's opening against this wall. If you placed something to be plugged in at this outlet you would be tripping over the cord or bumping into whatever it is. At any rate, there must be an outlet behind the fridge and so wouldn't this outlet be considered to meet the requirement? Another outlet installed right next to fridge outlet should, assuming the outlet for the fridge is directly behind it. It's maybe difficult to access, slightly impractical, but it would meet the requirement wouldn't it?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

It`s a model where you enter a kitchen there is a 26 in wall perpendicular to the fridge and counter beyond it.since the fridge recep is behind the fridge it doesnt count as required wall spacing recep.Yes it would be a tripping hazard if a cord was left plugged in but ahj says put it there.24 in or more rule.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Allen,

I'm with Missdella.

210.52(A) does not include "refrigerator", or even "appliance" as a point at which a wall begins or ends at.

As I understand your description of the problem, you have a unit kitchen with 5' of wall from the doorway to the edge of the kitchen counter. There is an outlet installed for the refrigerator, and the refrigerator can be placed anywhere along that 5' section of wall (while the developer may say it goes here, the occupant or subsequent owner may say the refir goes there.

Any outlet along that 5' section of wall is within 6' of the start of the wall.

The 5' section of wall is wider than 24" and must have an outlet, but the oulet only has to be within the section of wall, not within a designated 24" section of wall.

IMHO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.