Lighted Clothes Closet Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc5w

A new product that I have encountered in a catalog that was snail mailed to me is a lighted clothes closet rod. The dealer website is www.outwater.com which has all kinds of nifty architectural stuff if you have a fat wallet.

My take on article 410 is that this lighted closet rod ( which has a T5 fluorescent bulb inside ) is theoretically NOT legal. However, article 90 provides for a special permission for products and special situations because NEC cannot possibly cover all products and situations.

Sometime I am going to try to get the UL listing file for this light. If it is listed for this purpose and it has internal thermal protection agaijnst overheating, I do not see the problem other than it theoretically is in a storage space.

What is your take on this product?

charlie

Re: Lighted Clothes Closet Rod

I would be interested to see if any of the closet rod lights had a listing. I don't see how they could be installed by an electrician without violating the Code. :mad:

iwire

Staff member

Lighted Closet Rod

It claims a UL listing but that does not necessarily mean it could be installed in a closet without violating the NEC.

This company makes store displays, I could see it being used in store displays.

[ March 20, 2005, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

pierre

The website provided show the fixture as being listed, it also mentions that all electrical work should be performed by a licensed electrician.
I requested literature and I am curious to see exactly what it says.

mc5w

One of my buddies did encounter a situation with a listed fixture for a BP gas station where the inspector said that he had to rewire it so that there was no exposed cord.

Underwriters Laboratories requirements and permissions are not 100% NEC so every once in a while and inspector will yap about something.

This fixture is rather ahead of its time. What I would rather use is a lighted rod that is fiber optic with a remote bulb in a safer location. Almost all swimming pool lights are fiber optic nowdays - there is no comparison on safety, relamping, and installation issues.

sandsnow

Did a quick search of UL and nothing there under the name outwater or under architectural products by outwater.

Looking closely at the link bob posted, it looks like a canadian ul label. Note subscript lower left.

Does the Canadian elect. code by chance have different rules for closets??

physis

By mc5w:

What I would rather use is a lighted rod that is fiber optic with a remote bulb in a safer location. Almost all swimming pool lights are fiber optic nowdays - there is no comparison on safety
Yes indeed. I like your thinking on this.

physis

I think there might be some potential mechanical issues. What's to stop me from hangging my WW2 era oscilloscope from it? It doesn't stand a chance in that respect.

physis

And I don't see a way to disagree you Charlie. The light/hanger rod is "like totally" not code.

pierre

If the listing is actual, this makes for an interesting inspection.
1. what does the listing actually say?
2. are there space/location restrictions with the listing?

Lets say that there are no special considerations with this rod/light combo.
This is one of the reasons for 90.4. I cannot say how I would consider this installation without being able to read the instructions first.
But this is interesting.

physis

Pierre, are you implying that a UL listing can supercede the NEC?

pierre

There are always examples of listed products that are introduced to the market in between the code cycles.
90.4 permits the inspector to make an educated decision for such matters. This one is not too easy though, as there are requirements in place that prohibit this. That is why I think it is so interesting.

allenwayne

My question is simply this....Why are these needed in the first place :D Is this billable ????

$45.00 - service call
$20.00 - bulb
$65.00 - clothes r&r
Let me know where to sign up

pierre

From Allen

My question is simply this....Why are these needed in the first place

Why do we have 22,000 sqft homes, private jets, expensive cars, jewerly, etc...?
Because we live in a great country that permits us to not be closed in by our thoughts, but allows us to think the impossible :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.