Lighting a boiler room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

residential, one and two family houses, or commercial , is there a difference? Are there different codes for them? this is a regular room, Hot water tanks are there, and the heating system are there, nothing else.

kwired

Electron manager
residential, one and two family houses, or commercial , is there a difference? Are there different codes for them? this is a regular room, Hot water tanks are there, and the heating system are there, nothing else.
Not really any difference to what NEC requirements may be. Some conditions may create requirements from other codes though.

BTU capacity, operating pressure of the system, and things of that nature have an impact on needing emergency stop switches at the entrance(s) to the room for some boilers. I don't know those codes - but when the boiler installers say they are needed they tell me exactly where to place them - as they are the ones that get the correction notice if it isn't right. Lighting - NEC is reasonably silent here also. You will probably find you do need illumination but it doesn't have anything on how much illumination is necessary, that would have to come from other codes if there is a requirement.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I don't know if there is a difference, but for non-electrical requirements, one and two family homes 3 stories and under will be under the International Residential Code. Commercial, industrial, R-1, R-2, and R-4 (apartment buildings, dormitories, hotels, custodial care) will be under the International Building Code. All assuming your jurisdiction uses these codes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.