lighting - class 1 div 1 group d

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackman435

We are bidding a fuel distribtion system. The pump room will have light fixtures that are suitable for the atmosphere. These fixtures will be piped together with galv. rigid conduit. My question is, are sealoffs required between each fixture? I read that the fixture wiring enclosure will be enclosed and separate from the lamp compartment. Please let me know your thoughts.

jackman

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
We are bidding a fuel distribtion system. The pump room will have light fixtures that are suitable for the atmosphere. These fixtures will be piped together with galv. rigid conduit. My question is, are sealoffs required between each fixture? I read that the fixture wiring enclosure will be enclosed and separate from the lamp compartment. Please let me know your thoughts.

jackman
I am assuming you mean that that the luminaire has an integral "factory sealed" terminal box. If that is correct, see Section 501.15 (A)(1) Exception part (3). Note the Exception has its own 2" entry disqualifier. Also read the text immediately following the Exception.

Basically, the question is whether each luminaire needs to be sealed individually. If they meet 501.15 (A)(1) Ex part (3), they aren't required to be sealed individually and nothing is required between them either. If they don't meet the Exception, their individual seals are all that is required. It is possible that one intermediate seal could be omitted under Section 501.15(A)(3)/

Status
Not open for further replies.