Lighting contactor mechanically held

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Hello colleagues, this is something that I'm not doing usually.This is a restaurant with 4 track lighting ckt 3,5,7,9 with lighting contactor, the problem is the guys working before in this only ran one ckt and from the contactor four switch leg each per track, no line side wires in the contactor just load side in this case the four switch legs, which in my opinion don't need the contactor and control the tracks with the wall switch. The total load is about 100 light bulbs LED 11W par30 120V.
My question are
1. In this scenario, is it posible to use 4p lighting contactor mechanically held pulling all 4 ckts from the panel to line side of the contactor and four switch leg coming out from the load side of the contactor?
2. Can I use regular toggle switch to energize de contactor? and
3. In case that I want to deenergize the contactor, can I use the same switch?
I never installed mechanical held contactor before and I need some clarification how to operate the contactor in the circuit. Thanks in advance

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A three way switch can also be used. Most common latching contactors have built in clearing contacts, so voltage to the coil is automatically removed once the contactor is open or closed. There is one style that requires the module that Strathead mentioned, but most do not.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've done what Strathead notes in Post #3. Check with the contactor manufacturer and see about a 2 wire control module.

Status
Not open for further replies.