lighting in closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccs&e

What and where does the code talk about putting a light in a residential closet. I can't seem to find it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know exactly what you are looking for. But try starting at 410.16.

Welcome to the forum.

ccs&e

re: light in a closet

re: light in a closet

I am asking about where to locate a light in a closet. I thought you had to be so many inches above a shelf and a certain distance away from the door. I can't seem to find it in the code. If I have enough room, I am thinking of putting in a recessed type IC can.

ccs&e

Thank you Nakulak. Exactly what I was looking for.

Also, thank you for the welcome, Charles. Much appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
it looks better than a wrap or strip
It gives very little light and if itt is a walk in I would use a surface mount anyday over a can.

A small closet looks fine with a strip up on the header over the door. No one sees it and it puts out much better light.

I can't tell you how many closets I have seen with open trims and exposed bulbs. It took years before I could teach the inspector that it wasn't legit. Luckily he is no longer here inspecting.

robbione

We do mostly high-end residential and there is no-way these owners would allow fluorescent surface mount in the closets, however most wet location trims only allow 35 or 40watt lamp. I sometimes replace the incandescent bulb with a CFL to get more light, or go with a low-volt can, VP trim & 50watt MR16 lamp.
More money, but the best overall result.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We do mostly high-end residential
If it is high end there should be room for a surface mount incandescent. Installing CFL's in a recessed can that is not listed for them may also be a violation.

IMO the cfl's probably won't last very long inside an enclosed can. Of course, those lights are not on very much.

BTW, Halo makes a can that is an H7UICT that will accept a 60 watt bulb with a 170PS shower trim not the 70PS. Also if there is no insulation then you can use a straight 70PS along with a 60 watt bulb

rbwsparky

We use undercabinet style fixtures mounted on the wall directly above the door for shallow closets. All the inspectors love them when installed with occupancy sensor or door jamb switch, because you don't have to worry about them being left on.

rodneee

we were getting killed on this one. we would install a surface mount light in a 6 X 8 walk in at the rough wire stage; only to come back at final to find the closet is 70% filled with shelves and storage bins. we have lately been going with 2 recessed cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.