lighting layout, cathedral ceiling w/skylights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I stopped by a friend's house last week to look at his newly framed porched. As mentioned in the title, it has a cathedral ceiling with three skylights in each side. Initially I told him I would flank the outer skylights with two 6" recessed lights, making that eight in total. However, when I went to wire it up his architect mentioned just centering one light at the same locations I noted, for a total of four. Then the customer himself wanted to add an additional light to the architects layout but that would result in a nonsymetrical layout. I just left the switch leg coiled up in the ceiling and told him to sleep on it. Can anyone approve of any of the designs discussed or can suggest one?

Thanks!

P.S.

If it helps, there will be a ceiling fan and light located in the center of this room.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're looking for general room lighting I prefer symmetry when possible because it will light the room more evenly. I would add lights to make it symmetrical if need be. IMO more is better than less, finding out that the room isn't well lit after it's all done and painted is not a good thing.

iwire

Staff member
If you're looking for general room lighting I prefer symmetry when possible because it will light the room more evenly. I would add lights to make it symmetrical if need be. IMO more is better than less, finding out that the room isn't well lit after it's all done and painted is not a good thing.

My OCD demands symmetry. :)

You can always add a dimmer if it's too bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.