lighting on gfci breaker issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
we are doing a control tower for branch of the military. they have asked us to put the lighting circuit on a gfci breaker. we complied and now the lights trip. the lights are led the load is a total of 11amp the gfci breaker is a 2oamp has anyone had problems putting lights on gfci breakers

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't see why the load being lighting would have anything to do with it. If the breaker trips immediately check for a fault from neutral to ground. Beyond that, it may be possible that one or more drivers has some leakage to ground.

-Hal

Todd0x1

First I would check for things like pinched wires, but it could be the lights. How many lights are there? Do the lights have any L-G or N-G filter caps in their power supply?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The circuit has no issues when its on a standard breaker.
then Like Hal said you have a N-G connection somewhere or a driver leaking current.
you said you tried one light at a time did you disconnect all light and And see if it held. If it does just start at the first one and work from their.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Nearly 20 years ago, I had an issue with LV track lights tripping GFCI receptacles. Had to move the circuit to opposite phase from lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.