Lighting outlet required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slavan

This question always puzzled me. The question context itseft is questionable as how it's relates to the code in section 210.70 lighting outlet required. In another forms or another, 210.70 was discussed before. The question simply states:

In which rooms are lighting outlet required? Choose 3 that are correct.

A)bathroom
B)diningroom
C)attached garage
D)bedroom
E)basement

According to 210.70, Bathroom, attached garage, basement needs lighting outlets. So, that would leave the diningroom and bedroom that lighting outlets are not required. If the bathroom, attached garage, basement required one. What is the third choice?

Basement?? According to the code, lighting outlet is required in the basement IF it is used for storage. So, by reading the question, are we to assumed that the basement isn't used for storage? Are we supposed to read the mind of the examiner who wrote the question of what the basement will be used for? Usually, on the job, a lighting outlet is installed in the basement because we don't really know what the basement will be use for.

This is a very poor question.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Try again and remember that a switched recep. may be used in lieu of a light in certain rooms. Which rooms are they?

slavan

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't think there are 3 answers. I see only 2 correct responses

Exactly, but this is what was asked on the MN electrical test. This is the new test 99% of the people failed the first time it was implemented. The test was adjusted and implemented again; as of to date, people are having trouble passing the test.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
slavan said:
Exactly, but this is what was asked on the MN electrical test. This is the new test 99% of the people failed the first time it was implemented. The test was adjusted and implemented again; as of to date, people are having trouble passing the test.

If 99% of the people taking this test failed then either you have a lot of really dumb people in MN..:grin: or the test is a failure. I vote the latter.

slavan

Dennis Alwon said:
If 99% of the people taking this test failed then either you have a lot of really dumb people in MN..:grin: or the test is a failure. I vote the latter.

LOL. We'll find out if I'm one of the smart one when I get my Master test result any day now.

480sparky

slavan said:
LOL. We'll find out if I'm one of the smart one when I get my Master test result any day now.

Haven't they heard of them new-fangled deelie-bobbers call kompooters up north? :grin:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i remember on the AMP test, they had a section on the back of the answer sheet where you could identify questions that had no correct answer listed, etc . . . . You got points if you caught one. Anything like this on your test?

slavan

brantmacga said:
i remember on the AMP test, they had a section on the back of the answer sheet where you could identify questions that had no correct answer listed, etc . . . . You got points if you caught one. Anything like this on your test?

No, nothing like that on the test. Basically, they hand out the test, THEIR provided code book with no tabs or any other references allowed, the Minnesota electrical act booklet, a very basic calculator,a book of drawn diagrams ( which have pictures of a junction box for calculating box pull, transformers, working space, etc). You just answer the questions based on the codes and a few calculation, turn in the completed test and hope for the best.

cadpoint

I thought all rooms in a dwelling had to have some Light, I searched I couldn't find it.

I think the question is very bad... I'm really with Dennis on this.
But with this Game's going on, its hard not to watch ...:grin:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The correct answer is B, D, and E. There is no ambiguity here, but I do agree it is a poorly worded question.

Please note that question asks where lighting outlets are not REQUIRED. What this tells me is that if there is any way to allow a room to not have a lighting outlet, if there is any exception that gives us another solution, then the lighting outlet is not "required."

For answer A, the bathroom, Exception 1 to 210.70(A)(1) tells us that we can't substitute a switched receptacle. Thus, in this room, a lighting outlet is required. For answer C, the attached garage, 210.70(A)(2)(a) tells us it must have a lighting outlet, and does not give us any alternatives.

For all other answers, there are circumstances in which the room need not have a lighting outlet. As to answers B and D, these are habitable rooms for which Exception 1 to 210.70(A)(1) tells us that we may substitute a switched receptacle. Thus, in these two rooms, a lighting outlet is not "required." As to answer E, 210.70(A)(3) tells us the basement does not require a lighting outlet, if it is not used for storage, and if it contains no equipment that requires servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.