lighting over indoor lap pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steviechia2

Why doesn't the code allow lights below 7'-6" on a GFCI above an indoor pool, yet it allows you to install below 7'-6" Under certain conditions if it's an indoor hot tub? What is the reasoning behind this?
I have an above ground lap pool with an 8'-6" ceiling.
It would be nice if it could have recessed above but 680.22B(2) says no!

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Code issues aside ... how do you plan to change the bulbs?

Safety_Ladder_In_Pool.jpg

All kidding aside this can be a good enough reason? That would imply that anythign that is challenging is not allowed. One could build a scaffolding, or used LED lighting, or have a tool made.

RICK NAPIER

Is this one of these indoor lap pools where the water moves and the swimmer stays in place? If it is it may be a spa and not a pool. I have not inspected one of these in a while but years back the UL listing for them was for a hot tub and spa not a pool. I spoke to a UL engineer about this and he told me they considered it closer to a hot tub and spa and listed as such.

Steviechia2

Is this one of these indoor lap pools where the water moves and the swimmer stays in place? If it is it may be a spa and not a pool. I have not inspected one of these in a while but years back the UL listing for them was for a hot tub and spa not a pool. I spoke to a UL engineer about this and he told me they considered it closer to a hot tub and spa and listed as such.

Yes It is an indoor lap pool. I came to the same conclusion talking with the electrician today,that this is more of a spa than a pool. So I allowed the recessed to stay. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.