Lighting panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

A lot of the custom houses I am seeing have Lutron lighting panels or maybe a different brand. I do not know how these work. Is there a Cat5 associated with each switch and they all come back to one panel? Where do i learn more about the installation?

JoeNorm

Thanks. Can anyone give me a brief step by step on what the rough-in process is like for this?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks. Can anyone give me a brief step by step on what the rough-in process is like for this?
You mention Lutron or other brands. You need to be more specific on the system.

If you are seeing large Lutron panels with dimmer modules you are seeing Homeworks.

All lighting zones get run back to the Lutron panels. Keypad controls are run in a daisy chain pattern using a proprietary cable that has a pair of power conductors and a pair of shielded data wires. The number of keypads per loop depend on the exact devices used.

You can also have wireless keypads (They need 120V power) and wireless local dimmers.

There are many options for the systems. Only certified installers can buy and program the system. Certification requires training and minimum annual commitment of product purchased. They also restrict number of dealers to areas.

JoeNorm

Thank you. I did not know there was certification involved. But it makes sense, does not look straightforward at all.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
If the residential is anything like the commercial stuff then it can be very costly to engage them to come modify or do any work or upgrades on the existing system which is why I try to stay away from using them but they have a vive wireless system that is very nice and I believe easily programmed and maintained outside of authorized vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.