Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

takelly

Can LED fixtures for a carwash that come with a molded in flexible cord be direct wired into a WP J-box? Or must they be cord and plug connected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can LED fixtures for a carwash that come with a molded in flexible cord be direct wired into a WP J-box? Or must they be cord and plug connected.

I would check the instructions. Generally you cannot cut a cord end and direct wire as you have changed the listing. Personally I don't see an issue with it but it could be rejected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I assumed the cord had a male end otherwise I didn't think he would be asking that question. He wrote "with a molded" - I figured he forgot the word male plug...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Typically, if they have a cord with a male end, they are not listed for permanent installations, so you probably can't use them.

takelly

The fixtures do not have a molded cord cap. The flexible cable is molded into the fixture.

The reason most manufacturers quit putting card ends on them is because they are good for any voltage from 100-277, the installer decides which voltage works for them.

It would always be cheaper the direct the cords into a J-box if it was allowed by code, but is it code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.