Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I see most vendors want run lengths when you have 4' & 8' foot lengths tandem mounted not just counts per 4' & 8'. Do you experience this? Also how do you labor linear runs of 4' & 8' that many of these tandem mounted? Per fixture or per foot? I guess ieven though it was say a 40' run but had (5) 8' fixtures tandem mounted you would put one 8' fixture up at a time? Or would they be assembled on the ground? But the run can be so long making it impossible to install???? THanks

stevebea

I see most vendors want run lengths when you have 4' & 8' foot lengths tandem mounted not just counts per 4' & 8'. Do you experience this? Also how do you labor linear runs of 4' & 8' that many of these tandem mounted? Per fixture or per foot? I guess ieven though it was say a 40' run but had (5) 8' fixtures tandem mounted you would put one 8' fixture up at a time? Or would they be assembled on the ground? But the run can be so long making it impossible to install???? THanks

The vendor needs the run length so you get the right fixtures. If you have a 40 ft. run the vendor would send you 3 "run" fixtures which do not have finished ends and are made to butt up to another fixture. Your first and last fixture on the run have 1 finished end with the other end butting up to another fixture. I hope this makes sense. I have always put the lights up one at a time with the help of another guy. I always use aircraft cable to hang linear light like you are describing. On a run of 5 lights you would need 6 cable drops to hang the lights.

maghazadeh

The vendor needs the run length so you get the right fixtures. If you have a 40 ft. run the vendor would send you 3 "run" fixtures which do not have finished ends and are made to butt up to another fixture. Your first and last fixture on the run have 1 finished end with the other end butting up to another fixture. I hope this makes sense. I have always put the lights up one at a time with the help of another guy. I always use aircraft cable to hang linear light like you are describing. On a run of 5 lights you would need 6 cable drops to hang the lights.

I agree with stevebea, however what he is descirbing is linear architectual direct/indirect fixture which is already wired with matching male/female connector at each end.
You could also have regular strip fluor fixtures with or without industerial reflector.
Reason mentioning this is in regard to your question."Also how do you labor linear runs of 4' & 8' that many of these tandem mounted? Per fixture or per foot?"

First type or fixture you only needs one feed per row and attachment type per fixture.
Second type of fixture needs one feed per row, then you need add labor for wiring through fixture's channel.

horsegoer
Lighting

These fixtures commonly can be in combination of 2', 4',8', and 12' in the row.
Like 24' row, manufacturer may give you 3-8' or if they want to save money, they could give you 2-12'.

stevebea

My bad.... I should have read your post twice instead of going off on a tangent! :slaphead: :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I guess ieven though it was say a 40' run but had (5) 8' fixtures tandem mounted you would put one 8' fixture up at a time? Or would they be assembled on the ground? But the run can be so long making it impossible to install???? THanks

Typically you will assemble the entire length on the ground, and then bring in one guy per 3' with scissor lifts to stand there and hold the assembly up (typically called the "holders"), while three to six other guys ("runners") drive lifts alongside, installing anchors to hold up the assembly. Typically, the process takes quite a while, necessitating relief men on a third set of lifts assisting the holders.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Typically you will assemble the entire length on the ground, and then bring in one guy per 3' with scissor lifts to stand there and hold the assembly up (typically called the "holders"), while three to six other guys ("runners") drive lifts alongside, installing anchors to hold up the assembly. Typically, the process takes quite a while, necessitating relief men on a third set of lifts assisting the holders.
You could do it that way, or you could do it with one guy in a scissor lift with a 10' platform and an extension ladder laid out across it to support and raise the light assembly, and a second guy in a smaller lift driving alongside tying off.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You could do it that way, or you could do it with one guy in a scissor lift with a 10' platform and an extension ladder laid out across it to support and raise the light assembly, and a second guy in a smaller lift driving alongside tying off.
That's not an OSHA-approved method of supporting the fixture - can you see it's better with three teams on their own lifts?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Well described, thanks

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I agree with stevebea, however what he is descirbing is linear architectual direct/indirect fixture which is already wired with matching male/female connector at each end.
You could also have regular strip fluor fixtures with or without industerial reflector.
Reason mentioning this is in regard to your question."Also how do you labor linear runs of 4' & 8' that many of these tandem mounted? Per fixture or per foot?"

First type or fixture you only needs one feed per row and attachment type per fixture.
Second type of fixture needs one feed per row, then you need add labor for wiring through fixture's channel.

These fixtures commonly can be in combination of 2', 4',8', and 12' in the row.
Like 24' row, manufacturer may give you 3-8' or if they want to save money, they could give you 2-12'.

Can you explain what you mean by the two different types of fixtures? I understand the two different wiring methoda but whcih ones get which type of wiring?? THanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

So a 16' run can be installed on the ground? Thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

What do you mean by the tying off? I understand men tying off when above a certain height, is that what your referring to?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What do you mean by the tying off? I understand men tying off when above a certain height, is that what your referring to?

Yes, a lot of times the urgency of the moment gets guys to get up in the lift before they tie off, so sometimes it's necessary to have some of the third team driving alongside with harnesses and lanyards to tie them off while they are in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.