Lightning Arrestors vs Surge Arrestors in Overhead Distribution Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Greetings,
Are lightning arrestors and surge arrestors mean the same thing when applied to overhead medium voltage power distribution systems? I suppose they are used interchangeably, because they are used to protect against the transient surges in the overhead lines, caused either by a direct lightning hit somewhere else in the system, or by system overvoltage conditions. Eaton calls them Surge arrestors, but I think in the older day that would call these units lightning arrestors.

Am I correct on this?
Thanks,
EE

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Good question. Lighting protection and medium and high voltage are not the most common work site tasks that most members of this forum delve into, but there are a select number of members who do.

Would it be correct to say that all surge arresters are lighting arresters but not all lightning arresters are surge arresters?

Mivey pick up the phone.

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
Electric Utility Reliability Coordinator
Greetings,
Are lightning arrestors and surge arrestors mean the same thing when applied to overhead medium voltage power distribution systems? I suppose they are used interchangeably, because they are used to protect against the transient surges in the overhead lines, caused either by a direct lightning hit somewhere else in the system, or by system overvoltage conditions. Eaton calls them Surge arrestors, but I think in the older day that would call these units lightning arrestors.

Am I correct on this?
Thanks,
EE
I agree that the industry uses these terms interchangeably.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the MV people have a lot of terms they throw around that mean something to a specific utility but might not mean the same thing to the utility next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.