Lightning direct hit on steeple

Status
Not open for further replies.

boater bill

Yesterday morning between services at my church, a thunderstorm brewed up. And then... the air gap on the top of our steeple took a direct hit. Lots of chaos and lights out. There are systems still not running this afternoon.

My question: why is the air gap on the steeple now only about 1/3 the original height? :confused:
Vaporized from the amount of energy is my guess.

Any other thoughts?

boater bill

Another term for lightning rod or air terminal. I am not sure if that is the best term to use now that I think about it.

So far the damage has been limited to the computer switch and the lighting dimming rack in the trusses. There was lots of people around when it happened and we are thankful no one was near any of the lightning cable as it went to ground.

bphgravity

Bill,

Take some pictures if you get a chance and bring them to the next IAEI meeting. I would like to see the damage you have posted on.

The storms have been pretty bad here this summer with lots of large strikes. It is possible the particular lightning strike was of a bipolar and/or positive charge rather than the typical negative variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.