Lightning Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

svaurez

I have a friend who was told that you shouldnt talk on the phone during a lightning storm.Is there any reason for this or is it just a nasty rumor.

bphgravity

Re: Lightning Myth

The full energy of the lightning strike is very unlikely to get all the way to the user of a phone. The conductive path will most likely be destroyed or severed in the moment of the strike and not result in an effective path for the lightning to flow.

Some flash over and line surge from lighting could possibly damage the equipment and contact the user.

Therefore, lightning is much more likely to have an indirect adverse effect on the phone system than the lightning directly using the phone system as a conductive path. :)

hurk27

While it might not sound likely. there are situations that it can occur the most common one is in many older houses the phone line comes into the house away from the service. and back then the phone co. just installed a 4' ground rod and connected to it without the required bond back to the main GC this allows the lightning to take a path into the house and if you are standing on a conductive flooring or touching something grounded then it could strike you. this is why I now look for this ground bond anytime I'm at an older house. and I also look at the grounding of cable and sat. systems too. as these are prone to the something only the lightning is trying to get to the neutral through the attached appliance. the one reasons allot of modems get zapped.

engy

Four years ago after a thunderstorm went through I walked outside, and my wife got on the phone. Remember how they say just because a storm has passed you are still not safe from lightning?, well it's true. With no rain, wind, and clearing skies, lightning struck very close. I hit the ground and my wife threw the phone. She got zapped. Not enough to severely injure her, but enough damage that she has ringing in her ear (and can hear her heart beat) 24/7, probably for life. I would imagine under certain circumstances greater damage could occur. Note, this was after a storm had passed, not in the middle of a storm. Do the math.

bphgravity

There are over 3 billion telephone calls made per year in the world. At any given second, there are 36.5 million people or computers connected to an active phone line. (www.fcc.gov)

It is estimated that over 25 million cloud-to-ground lightning strikes occur each year which result in the death of under 100 persons.

I am in no way trying to reduce the serious nature of using electrical equipment when storms are near, but more people are killed or injured from choking on ball point pens each year than lightning.

I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida, so I know lightning and the effects of lightning. I do not use the telephone or run the vacuum during our daily thunderstorms, but I do know that I have a better chance of being hit by a flying refrigerator walking out of the door to my house than I do being struck by lighnting while on the phone.

All statisicts are relative!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.