Lightning pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

16aug29-lightening-tree.jpg

Pretty cool

sparky_magoo

I live on CA's central coast. Last night we had a major lightning storm. Very rare in these parts. Guys on the job talked about it all day long. I read someware that lightning starts from the ground and travels upward.

The TV news tonight showed video of last nights lightning storm. The bolts always traveled from the sky to the ground.

Is my conception of lightning starting from the ground, to the sky wrong?

If I'm wrong, please teach me.

Minuteman

I saw a slo-mo clip once, were a faint line traveled from the ground to the cloud first. Then the big, bright line stuck from the cloud back to the same spot.

LawnGuyLandSparky

sparky_magoo said:
I live on CA's central coast. Last night we had a major lightning storm. Very rare in these parts. Guys on the job talked about it all day long. I read someware that lightning starts from the ground and travels upward.

The TV news tonight showed video of last nights lightning storm. The bolts always traveled from the sky to the ground.

Is my conception of lightning starting from the ground, to the sky wrong?

If I'm wrong, please teach me.

Start here:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning.htm

iaov

quogueelectric said:
Poor Cows!!
Lightning scares the hell out of me too. There is no complete understanding of how and why it works. Its PFM! Being an old electrician I don't like anything that arcs and barks.

zog

Basically, the positive chaged clouds "draw" electrons towards them, so the electron flow goes up. You cant see currrent, what you are seeing is the air ionizing whaich appears to go downwards. Good arguement for hole flow over electron flow.

fisherelectric

Check out the arc extending up from the pole in the yard....that's a failed lightening strike..the bolt hit the tree beside it which also had a earth to cloud arc. The lightening hits the strongest leader coming up from the ground.

cschmid

no it is with your computers setting.. when I can not get pics at work, I can get them at home..It is with the security settings I believe..check in the active X area...hope this helps..

celtic

The pictures are NOT Active X elements ...they are still images that linked "off site".

Depending on what browser you use (MS IE, Netscape, Opera, SeaMonkey, etc) will dictate where the setting to be corrected is. If I had to guess (and I do because I don't what browser you are using) I would say you do not have the appropiate check/uncheck marked in a "CONTENT" field, possible "LOAD IMAGES AUTOMATICALLY"...with an option of "FOR THE ORIGINATING WEBSITE ONLY".

cschmid

ahh you are correct my friend over look the obvious I did. you are also correct on the active X control.. But it can still be a firewall setting and if you have xp and a add on firewall it could take a few minutes. I will bet if you can tell us what you are using you will find one of us who can walk you through it..

Status
Not open for further replies.