Lightning prevention devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinsa

Any one would like to comment on the devices in the market to "detect" or "alert" when a lightning storm is coming

Thanks in advance

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Lightning prevention devices

We use them in a few markets to run the site off of generators when storms are in the area. However I fell like it is a waist of gas since most of the problems occur when the tower is struck.

If you want a cheap one just use the chapeast AM radio you can find and listen for the crackel.

vinsa

OK, but what about large areas where a serious lightning protection system cannot protect and you still have people waking around ?

dereckbc

Staff member

Vinsa, what are you trying to find out? How to design a protection system, or warning devices?

vinsa

I just want to have a reasonable in cost and reliable in operation sistem to alert people in open areas like a hotel near a beach or a university campus in the gardens around the buildings

hurk27

Dereck It won't work for the hearing impaired (severely impaired) :roll:

You have to include the handicaps

[ April 06, 2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by hurk27:
Dereck It won't work for the hearing impaired (severely impaired) :roll:

You have to include the handicaps
Hummm, Interesting. My golf course has lightning warning. It is a loud horn siren, no visual indicator other than the nearby flash. :roll:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I used to do a lot of work for a school for the deaf and I can tell you that the hearing impaired can feel sounds, particularly low frequency, much better than we can. So I would think that thunder would be no problem for them to sense.

As for other warning systems, unless EVERYBODY is hearing impaired, the hearing certainly will alert those that are unaware.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.