Lightning Protection Ground reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasseemF

What is that standard for a good ground reading for a lightning protection system? Is it 25 ohms per rod and what should it be for the overall system?

I am getting a reading of 100 ohms on my system. What measures can be taken to rectify this?

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is that standard for a good ground reading for a lightning protection system? Is it 25 ohms per rod and what should it be for the overall system?

I am getting a reading of 100 ohms on my system. What measures can be taken to rectify this?

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
One would think whoever designed the lightning protection system would be the correct person to ask such a question.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Are you asking within the scope of NFPA 70? or is it an actual lightning protection system?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A lightning protection system is a different standard from the NEC, and the NEC does not require 25 ohms. There are methods to reduce ground resistance, chemical rods, deeper rods, and those are beyond the scope of what we typically answer. As pointed out, ask the company who designed your system.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
A lightning protection system is a different standard from the NEC, and the NEC does not require 25 ohms. There are methods to reduce ground resistance, chemical rods, deeper rods, and those are beyond the scope of what we typically answer. As pointed out, ask the company who designed your system.
Thanks, I didn't want to assume. I admit I don't know much outside of NFPA 70, and only a little inside of NFPA 70.
The main reason I ask is I can't believe a lightning protection system would have a a ground resistance of 100 Ohms.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
4.13 Grounding Electrodes, in NFPA 780, Installation of Lighting Protection Systems, does not specify any minimum resistances or any resistance testing for a lighting protection grounding electrode systems.

R777V

Occupation
Facilities Engineer/Industrial Electrician
Are copper plated better than stainless steel ground rods, or are stainless better under different circumstances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R777V

Occupation
All the stainless I have are sectional threaded, don’t think I’ve seen any stainless without threads, mine are from a hoard passed down from my old man who worked Substation Construction.

R777V

Occupation
4.13 Grounding Electrodes, in NFPA 780, Installation of Lighting Protection Systems, does not specify any minimum resistances or any resistance testing for a lighting protection grounding electrode systems.

Tom, how deep are we talking 20’? Or more, don’t want to strike oil or pound them to China either.

R777V

Occupation
cu coated and ss rods are used for corrosion protection, not lowering resistance. Cu listed rods have a thicker cladding

Tom, are we talking 20’ or sinking rods farther than that or a grid of 2 or more at 20’?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Tom, are we talking 20’ or sinking rods farther than that or a grid of 2 or more at 20’?

Mike holt has a video showing testing resistance of ground rods driven to 50 ft. He was showing different ways of measuring GR resistance
The video may still be available at his website

paulengr

Lightning protection is based on SURGE impedance, NOT DC resistance. You are all way off base here. Ground rod testing is for system grounding. NFPA 780 gives inspection procedures (basically visual).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is interesting that NFPA 780 permits an 8' rod but requires the bottom end of the rod to be at 10' in the earth.
1639330556165.png

Status
Not open for further replies.