Lightning Protection Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
chris kennedy said:
The name of the company is Bonded Lightning Protection. The estimated job value on the permit app was $2900. Multiply that by 1.3, 1.5, 2?

It passed inspection today but lets play "Spot the Violation" for the heck of it.

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1315

The bending radius of the downcomers is insufficient.
The conduit rises ABOVE the lightning receptors, thus making them ineffective.

The installation is a typical example of highway robbery. The entire installation is useless and unnecessary. I am not eve sure that the enarby trees do not offer lighting protection to the generator, but quite certain that the metallic house of the generator itself offers the same 'protection' as the additional gizmos.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
HighWirey said:
Never done cold bending of PVC but was always under the impression that a shoe was required somewhere in the process?
I'm willing to concede that the installer was wearing shoes. :cool:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
weressl said:
The bending radius of the downcomers is insufficient.
The conduit rises ABOVE the lightning receptors, thus making them ineffective.

The installation is a typical example of highway robbery.
Well, they got busted and had to change the 90's. At the very least there was a violation of352.24. Very nice install.:roll:

View attachment 1905

nakulak

electricalperson said:
nice pipe bends.

why would a generator need lightning protection like that. wouldnt it make more sense to put those rods on the building its serving. i think thegenerator might suffer a little damage if its struck by lightning like that

location, location, location.

if the purpose of the generator is to provide power, and the expected reason is a hurricane or severe storm, seems like a good idea to me.

(but that's just my siho)

mivey

What a bunch of junky-looking mess. Probably a waste as well. Why not a shielding mast instead?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
weressl said:
Step hazard.
The horizontal portion of the conduit is not supported.
There is no vibration relief from the generator to the stationary concrete pad, the conduit will break up.

The moving parts of the genny are isolated inside the enclosure. I went right in with two 4" EMT's and two ? EMT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.