Lights above food handling area

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone know what codes require a sealed or gasketed light fixture over a food handling area?

I have been told that completly gasketed fixtures are required, but I have also seen eggcrate types used in restraunts.

Lithonia has three recessed gasketed fixtures, WRT is gasketed, SRT is IS07 and ISO8 (whatever that means) and 100PSI hosedown rated, and the SRH is ISO5 and ISO6 (again, I don't know what that means) and is 200PSI rated.

I would assume the simple WRT model would suffice.

Steve

monkey

Re: Lights above food handling area

Steve,
The county health dept will be able to tell you what is required. In my county, tube guards are all that is required. Now in a food processing area you might need the gasketed fixtures for washdown protection. we installed gasketed fixtures in a walk in meat cooler and had to drill weep holes in the covers as they filled with condensation.

scrino

Typically, you can use exposed lamp type fixtures, as long as the lamps are explosion proof. However quite expensive to have the lamps dipped.

scrino

Sorry, I didnt answer your question. Requirement can be found in the Dept. of Agriculture, Bureau of Food Safety & Laboratory Services. Chapter 78.

jerryb

Scrino, I believe you meant to say "Shatter Proof" lamps. The objective is to prevent breaking glass or lamp internal dust or materials from falling into the food.

Explosion proof deals with lamps or fixtures that might ignite and cause an explosion.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I looked on the Illinois Dept. of Public health web site, and thats what I found also. Something is required to protect the food from shattered glass.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.