Lights in small walk in freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCES

Have a customer that needs a couple lights added in a walk in freezer. Has one jelly jar in there now. Health inspector says more light is needed. I've never done a freezer before. Can I run MC cable or does it need to be in sealtite? Im assuming anywhere I put a strap and mount a light I need to put a dab of silicone where the screw is going.

Thanks for any input

kwired

Electron manager
The covered lamp is there more because the health inspector requires it for food safety reasons then because NEC might call it a wet or damp location.

I don't see what a dab of silicone gains you on your mounting screws.

Electric-Light

The covered lamp is there more because the health inspector requires it for food safety reasons then because NEC might call it a wet or damp location.

I don't see what a dab of silicone gains you on your mounting screws.

The inside of a walk in freezer is as dry as a location can be, I use emt and regular fittings to hook up lights.

Light is at the interior temperature and it will condense water out when it gets blasted with warm air when you open the door.

kwired

Electron manager
Light is at the interior temperature and it will condense water out when it gets blasted with warm air when you open the door.
Worst case would be if the cooler/freezer opened to the outdoors and you opened the door on a hot humid day. Otherwise most are inside a building and probably an air conditioned building so humidity level is lower then it would be outside. Heat produced by the lamp will offset the effect - especially if an incandescent lamp.

I still say more people will get a request to put in a covered lampholder for food product safety reasons then because an EI calls it a wet location. They still don't really like the glass period, but the glass jar is more shatter resistant then an incandescent lamp. They usually will accept an exposed glass lamp if it is teflon coated.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
there are several mfgs of 4 ft or 8ft 2 lamp t-8 IP 66 luminares, most are poly carbonate and easy to install. I have seen them at the big box stores. jelly jar luminare with 100 W inc will be about 900 lumens, not very much light

wallyworld

Inside freezer is not an issue with moisture but any penetration to outside freezer walls may be an issue with moisture. I've seen switch boxes full of ice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Inside freezer is not an issue with moisture but any penetration to outside freezer walls may be an issue with moisture.
Exactly. Yes.

See 300.7(A). In the case of a small walk in freezer, the opening and closing of the door will act as a bellows, to a degree, and exacerbate the movement of air in any raceway that penetrates the insulated enclosure of the freezer.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I use 4' LED vaportite fixtures; typically I'll have one penetration coming though the ceiling panel and either EMT for long runs or NMLFC for short loops between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcal

Make sure conduits entering a refrigerator, or freezer are sealed or you will be back. :p Duct seal works fine.

Electric-Light

there are several mfgs of 4 ft or 8ft 2 lamp t-8 IP 66 luminares, most are poly carbonate and easy to install. I have seen them at the big box stores. jelly jar luminare with 100 W inc will be about 900 lumens, not very much light

Fluorescent is bad news for this. Normal T8 might never get to working temp in a freezer. This is where LED works well. Vapor tight or something designed for refrigeration is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.