Lights in storage space

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Question, guys.
Is it code compliant If I install led strips in bookcases in a way that they run vertically and light up edges of books with titles? Then after putting books the LEDs would be very close to books. Less than 6". Would it violate any code like 410.16?
Thank you in advance.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Question, guys.
Is it code compliant If I install led strips in bookcases in a way that they run vertically and light up edges of books with titles? Then after putting books the LEDs would be very close to books. Less than 6". Would it violate any code like 410.16?
Thank you in advance.
If the strip light installation instructions do not say anything about clearances, you should be OK. Especially if the strip has a separate driver which is dissipating most of the heat and leaving the LEDs themselves relatively cool.
I think that common sense will be as restrictive as code here, or more so.

darekelec

thanks.
but everything changes if i installed leds same way in clothes closets, right? what if the 'closet' does not have door? i am not theorizing. i have this case in client's apartment. gives out nice effect - light from nowhere lighting stuff you use.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
thanks.
but everything changes if i installed leds same way in clothes closets, right? what if the 'closet' does not have door? i am not theorizing. i have this case in client's apartment. gives out nice effect - light from nowhere lighting stuff you use.
Code is pretty explicit if installed in a clothes closet that for LED fixtures minimum clearance is required unless the fixture is listed for closet use.
There are bookshelves in the clothes closet? Reminds me of one my old apartments in my student days. :)
If there are no clothes and no clothes hanging rods or fixtures, etc., then it is just a storage closet and not covered.
I don't think the door matters as long as there is a doorway.

Status
Not open for further replies.