Lights needed in water heater utility closets?

Johnny B.

Occupation
Electrical Engineer 1
Hello all!

I need help on whether lights are needed in utility closets. Inspector is asking us to verify if we need lights in the water heater closets. I have water heaters for each unit with the access to them being in the corridor - instead of through the unit. My thinking is that the lights in the corridor should be sufficient - but NEC 210.70(C) says "(C) All Occupancies. For attics and underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch or listed wall mounted control device shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. A point of control shall be at each entry that permits access to the attic and underfloor space, utility room, or basement. Where a lighting outlet is installed for equipment requiring service, the lighting outlet shall be installed at or near the equipment."

So my thoughts are the water heater closets could be interpreted as utility rooms. Is there a definition some where of the difference between utility rooms and utility closets? IBC maybe? That is the only argument I think I could make with the inspector on this.

Attachments

• 1729875665343.png
    1729875665343.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 22

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hello all!

I need help on whether lights are needed in utility closets. Inspector is asking us to verify if we need lights in the water heater closets. I have water heaters for each unit with the access to them being in the corridor - instead of through the unit. My thinking is that the lights in the corridor should be sufficient - but NEC 210.70(C) says "(C) All Occupancies. For attics and underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch or listed wall mounted control device shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. A point of control shall be at each entry that permits access to the attic and underfloor space, utility room, or basement. Where a lighting outlet is installed for equipment requiring service, the lighting outlet shall be installed at or near the equipment."

So my thoughts are the water heater closets could be interpreted as utility rooms. Is there a definition some where of the difference between utility rooms and utility closets? IBC maybe? That is the only argument I think I could make with the inspector on this.

I would say a water heater requires servicing at some point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where is the definition of utility room? I don't see that closet on the drawing as a utility room. Water heaters get hung above ceilings in commercial buildings all of the time and they don't get lights.

It's not a question of whether the WH will require service/replacement, it's a question of whether the space qualifies at all; I'd say it doesn't, a "closet" is seldom also considered a "room" (look at common usage and the definitions of those words).

"For attics and underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch or listed wall mounted control device shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing."

That closet is not an attic, underfloor space, utility room, or basement; it's a closet. And if the closet only contains the water heater with no room for anything else, a light at the top won't do much good for servicing it anyway.

This might be like some ground rods- it's easier to install one than argue over it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Note that only a lighting "outlet" and
switch is required, not a fixture.
Would that fly without a light attached?
210.70(A)(1) is for the other habitable rooms (2017 nec)
So an inspector must pass it without any actual lights?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here's an old ROP (210.70)
__________________________________________________ __________
Submitter: Alan H. Nadon, City of Elkhart, IN
Recommendation: Revise as follows:
210.70 Lighting Outlets Required. Lighting outlets, that provide illumination,
shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), (C).
Substantiation: As currently worded, only 210.70(A)(2)(b) requires a lighting
outlet to actually illuminate anything. The definition of a lighting outlet, in
Article 100 does not require anything more than a junction box with switched
conductors intended to be connected to a lampholder, light fixture, or pendent
light. A proposal has also been submitted to change or amend the definition of
lighting outlet. Proper illumination ensures safe movement for persons thus
preventing many accidents.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The objective of the NEC is to provide the requirement for the lighting outlet. The requirements specific to illumination are in the building code.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12

MyCleveland

Yes.

Except for a few locations in the NEC, required fixtures will be found in building codes
I get your point, but the EC that does this with a developer ever get work again?

Any plan/spec will call out the lamp expected to be installed.
My choice was just a simple porcelain lampholder with a pull chain.

As far as the room name goes, if you place utilization equipment in a closet...it is no longer a closet.

Here, if the plan reviewer missed the outlet, he must go to the owner and state the error and request they be added.
When made aware his designer missed them...EE open your wallet. EC...have mercy.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A closet is not a utility room. Even if the closet contained an electric panel it still would not require a light if the lighting in the adjacent area outside of the closet provided light for the panel. {110.26(D)}

Johnny B.

Occupation
Electrical Engineer 1
Thank you everyone! This gives me some points to discuss with the inspector. I may just have to put either the light in or just a box for a future light. I will see. I'll have to see how the inspector views it all as well.

MyCleveland

A closet is not a utility room. Even if the closet contained an electric panel it still would not require a light if the lighting in the adjacent area outside of the closet provided light for the panel. {110.26(D)}
Symmetry also implies a utility room is not a closet.

110.26(D) would help him if a panel was in the room, 210.70(C) does not contain similar language.