Link between migraines and AFCI's found

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdalrymple

I experienced my first headache last week with the new AFCI breakers. Whenever either the light or the fan was turned on the breaker tripped. Thought it was the fan, because you would have the pull chains in the off position, the circuit holds. took down fan and put a light on the circuit, and it tripped. Tried to test for continuity, no luck. At this time all wires were disconnected and tested, and my headache was "this big". My head was pounding, and i was tired, time to go home for the weekend. Next week I purchased some headache prevention"megger". Tested circuits. Let me know if im right Mark. Number keeps going up is good insulation, ground to neutral shows 0 resistance immediately . I as an apprentence "megger man" believed I have found the Evil wire. The neutral, I removed the offending wire from the receptacles it was on, and jumped a new wire across to test. Viola it worked. The megger I purched is a Fluke 1507. Oh and then I replaced the wire for real. Wires will now be tested at rough in, back charges for bad wires at trim out.

Thanks Will Dalrymple

dnem

willdalrymple said:
I as an apprentence "megger man" believed I have found the Evil wire. The neutral, I removed the offending wire from the receptacles it was on, and jumped a new wire across to test. Viola it worked.

Where exactly was the "evil" wire ? . In a Romex between 2 recept boxes ?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
:D
cschmid said:
Another Megger addict..I suppose we are going to have to start a Megger support group..
LOL

I particularly like the "megger at rough."

Will,

Would you please consider adding this to the "compilation thread" that Winnie started last month? Highlight your opening post text, then right click and copy. Next, left click on the link here, "compilation thread", and then use the Post Reply button and paste the copied text. You can add more or edit, but it would be cool to see your story added there.

Thanks for considering this.

brian john

I particularly like the "megger at rough."

Isolate the neutral/grounded conductor at the panel main neutral ground bond and megger the neutral to verify there are no down stream grounds. A step often overlooked, in verify the integrity of wiring.

mdshunk

Sounds like you used it right. Good job.

What's important to take away from this scenario is the fact that the continuity check showed no problems, but the megger check immediately rooted out the issue.

ItsHot

strike again

strike again

mdshunk said:
Sounds like you used it right. Good job.

What's important to take away from this scenario is the fact that the continuity check showed no problems, but the megger check immediately rooted out the issue.
Megger Marc strikes again!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.