liquid propane gas inside house

Occupation
Remodel contractor
Can you even buy those anymore? Now they have to be high efficiency, so now they have a power draft inducer.
Even in CA water heaters with standing pilots are still available. The state titles are complex with different standards for new construction vs. retrofits.

Yellow CSST was used (here at least) for a 20+ year stretch beginning in the 90s - before residential water heaters with electronic ignition and power dampers existed.

So even if the original water heater has been replaced, it's not at all unexpected to find a standing-pilot water heater in a house with yellow CSST (and perhaps even in a house with black CSST). Energy-star rated water heaters command a premium and many customers question the value. Periodically PG&E would run an incentive program partially offsetting the additional cost and so I did install a few. But I've yet to see an Energy-star tank gas water heater in a builder spec house.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Even in CA water heaters with standing pilots are still available. The state titles are complex with different standards for new construction vs. retrofits.

Yellow CSST was used (here at least) for a 20+ year stretch beginning in the 90s - before residential water heaters with electronic ignition and power dampers existed.

So even if the original water heater has been replaced, it's not at all unexpected to find a standing-pilot water heater in a house with yellow CSST (and perhaps even in a house with black CSST). Energy-star rated water heaters command a premium and many customers question the value. Periodically PG&E would run an incentive program partially offsetting the additional cost and so I did install a few. But I've yet to see an Energy-star tank gas water heater in a builder spec house.
The current administration is trying to get rid of all gas appliances, so I’m surprised they are still available.

Occupation
Remodel contractor
The current administration is trying to get rid of all gas appliances, so I’m surprised they are still available.
Oh they're not just trying here - we're already there. Phase out begins in 2027 and is supposed to be complete by 2030. I have my doubts regarding how well this will go. Eliminating all gas appliances is the kind of idea which sounds good to lobbyists in Sacramento who have never worked on a house, much less a 100+ year old house. I anticipate a lot of variances being requested/approved for existing construction. I'm also seriously considering going into the gas water heater repair business after 2027.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Oh they're not just trying here - we're already there. Phase out begins in 2027 and is supposed to be complete by 2030. I have my doubts regarding how well this will go. Eliminating all gas appliances is the kind of idea which sounds good to lobbyists in Sacramento who have never worked on a house, much less a 100+ year old house. I anticipate a lot of variances being requested/approved for existing construction. I'm also seriously considering going into the gas water heater repair business after 2027.
I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about the public being forced to depend on electricity for everything. Without gasoline or diesel fueled vehicles there will not be anyplace to buy portable fuel except by volunteering in forest disease abatement and showing up in a pickup truck the engine of which is fueled with wood fired carbon monoxide gas to take home the stuff you cut down. But they probably won't let you take that wood home because allowing it to be transported outside the blighted area could spread the disease.

I'm trying not to fall down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole but this one type of energy distributed only through centrally controlled utilities is pushing me toward the edge. With no transportable fuel, presumably including manufactured (propane) gas, we won't even be able to run a generator when this new totally government controlled energy system fails. It may cause a resurgence of moonshine distilling to have a source of motor fuel that is not government controlled. Keep in mind that in spite of the modest costs the utilities have not spent the money to harden the grid against a high altitude nuclear explosion Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) attack on the national grid. Their standing pat waiting to be paid millions to fix their own outside plant at the tax payers expense.

Tom Horne

hornetd

Occupation
Larry

Your absolutely correct. But right now it is a regulated monopoly that only controls one form of energy. If the direction they appear to be taking now is any indication it will be the only form of energy available to ordinary folk like me with no alternative of any kind.

Tom Horne

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Larry

Your absolutely correct. But right now it is a regulated monopoly that only controls one form of energy. If the direction they appear to be taking now is any indication it will be the only form of energy available to ordinary folk like me with no alternative of any kind.

Tom Horne
We all know that the government has our best interests at heart.

hornetd

Occupation
We all know that the government has our best interests at heart.
Did you really have to write that in plain type. You could have at least used Pretty Good Privacy to encrypt it. Now the little gremlins know what we're worried about so they can concentrate their destructive energies were they will do the most damage.

Thank you for reminding me that if they're from the government their here to help.

Tom Horne

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I had a real estate lady look at my house awhile back. She almost fell over when she saw the original American Standard oil fired boiler. I upgraded it with a current burner and it gets 85% efficiency. I told her it's been there since 1955 and will go another 70 years if you let it and take care of it. I pointed out that I do have natural gas right next to it that the gas water heater uses. I did consider changing out the boiler but then I realized that with oil I can shop around to get the best price. With natural gas supplied by the utility you are stuck with whatever they want to charge. I already pay almost $90/mo for the gas just to supply the water heater, dryer and range. :mad:

-Hal

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Larry

Tom Horne
My electric and gas are provided by the same regulated monopolistic utility, and have been for many decades.