Listing for "homemade" luminaires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Question came up from one of students who wants to make luminaires and how to get them UL listed. A field evaluation would be too expensive, what about the UL listing process? What about listing from a UL competitor, such as ETL?

I have a buddy that tried to get a device UL listed. He said it would cost $20K initially and then $XXXX per year to maintain a UL listed device. That still doesn't prevent someone from suing you if your device burns down their house.

mgookin

I have listed product. It does not cost $20k but it's expensive and it takes time.

If the student wants to manufacture luminaires and have them listed, he needs to use one of the testing laboratories recognized by the code. And yes, ETL is one of them. I use ETL and have a positive experience with them.

There are two steps to getting a listing on your product. First whatever it is that you manufacture needs to be submitted along with lots of paperwork. Then after that gets approved they have to inspect the facility that manufactures the product as a prerequisite to issuing an Authorization To Mark. The result is a listed product and a plant authorized to produce and label product.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can you get a "listed shop" status similar to what is available for industrial control panels that would allow you to make one-off custom luminaires too? Or does every single design have to be tested?

iwire

Staff member
Can you get a "listed shop" status similar to what is available for industrial control panels that would allow you to make one-off custom luminaires too? Or does every single design have to be tested?

I believe, but am not sure that is what sign manufactures do. They can make 'one of signs' because they have promised to follow UL rules and agree to random inspection of the facility

mgookin

I only do lighting controls. I don't do lights so I can't answer that. But it would be easy enough to call a sales person at one of the testing laboratories and ask them.

jrannis

I believe, but am not sure that is what sign manufactures do. They can make 'one of signs' because they have promised to follow UL rules and agree to random inspection of the facility

Yes, each type of sign has to be separately evaluated. You can shorten and lengthen a box sign if you use all of the same approved components and still use the same label. Each one of our stickers had to be logged and each sign had to have an S/N.
We made all of our box signs with neon inside and bought standard sizes in bulk. Much better than screwing around with those stupid different size lamps with the multi lamp sign ballasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.