Lithonia Acenti Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I saw these nifty looking devices at Home Depot, and immediately fell in love with them. The Triples receptacles, and the single button light switches...how could you NOT love these things? (especially in an office, where more plugs are always welcome) However...one problem, which I'm hoping I can find a work around, if not a solution for, here. I've already been in contact with Leviton's product engineers, and they have confirmed for me what I'm about to describe.

I bought a mechanical switch in the Acenti style. It's nice, good solid feel, and best of all, it has an indicator light that comes on when the light is off (so you can find the switch in the dark). However, upon installation, I discovered something interesting. I use CFL's throughout my house, and as soon as you shut the light off, these things started a private rave in the office (flicking the CFL's on and off). A little chat with the PE's confirmed what I thought: that the trace amount of current from the LED indicator was just enough to cause the CFL to try and fire up. Luckily, this switch is controlling a ceiling fan, so as long as the ceiling fan is on, it won't strobe the CFL when turned off.

They recommended to me the use of an electronic switch (same device apparently, but requires a neutral connection as well). Here's where the problem occurs. I don't have a neutral connection available to me in the switch box. Instead of using the non-existent neutral, am I safe/ok to use my ground as a dump for that tiny bit of current? And if not, does anyone have any other suggestions on how I might make this happen? (short of digging through my walls to run neutral conductors to every switch I want to convert, or going back to incandescent).

Cheers (and sorry for the long winded post)

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
AltonToth said:
Instead of using the non-existent neutral, am I safe/ok to use my ground as a dump for that tiny bit of current?
Legally, no. That's why wiring with no 2-wire switch loops is sometimes specified these days.

Safe? I can only give an opinion, but don't tell anyone what I said. (Highlight here: Yeah.)

I will add that some home-automation devices instruct to do just that when there is no neutral.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

I always wondered if anyone would actually buy those hideous things...

acenti_receptacle.jpg

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
I always wondered if anyone would actually buy those hideous things...

It's all about the upsell. ;)

For the record, I think they are ugly too, but I would not hesitate for a moment to try to sell them. :)

How could you not love these things? Snap on cover plates, a gazillion and a half colours to choose from (if you order from a wholesaler and NOT Home Depot). Admittedly, I don't think I'll be using some of the more extravagant ones (the dimmers, surge protectors etc), but I think that they have a lot nicer, cleaner feel than Decora. (Though admittedly, I am particular to white and stainless steel as well). haha

Edit: and with the triples, it's all about moderation. Put them behind where your desk sits in your office? Yes. middle of the living room wall? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.