Live Theater Practical Wiring Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to have to wire practicals on our new stage for our nest show. In the last city we were located we were told by the inspector that we had to remove all extension cords from the theater space. No cords of any description were allowed.

I understand the NEC code says you cannot use an extension cords in a permanent situation. The inspector defined permanent to be anything in place over 24 hours.

In our new space (different jurisdiction) we need to be able to wire practicals. I have tried to look into it and cannot find an online authority to get an opinion. I have reread the NEC 520 code. It seems to me you can use cords (SOOW or SJOOW). How should I wire needed onstage receptacles or switches wire with cord to portable shoe-box dimmers or a 20 amp distribution point. I want to get this correct so that I do not get flagged by an inspector in our new space. We will have this installed under 30 days for a production run. If cable can be used, what type is alright to use, SOOW or SJOOW?

MAC702

...In the last city we were located we were told by the inspector that we had to remove all extension cords from the theater space. No cords of any description were allowed.... The inspector defined permanent to be anything in place over 24 hours.

In our new space (different jurisdiction) ... How should I wire ...?

What local code did the inspector cite?

What is your new jurisdiction and is the inspection office available to answer what they will look for?

Are there local electricians or qualified stagehands that can be hired to do it that know the local codes and inspectors?

kwired

Electron manager
Inspector is just plain wrong, if local code does exist, it is very impractical. NEC allows flexible cord and specifically mentions it for portable equipment. If the show packs up and leaves anything they take with them is definitely a part of the portable equipment. Equipment that stays in fixed location in the theater regardless of who is performing isn't part of this portable equipment.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We are going to have to wire practicals on our new stage for our nest show. In the last city we were located we were told by the inspector that we had to remove all extension cords from the theater space. No cords of any description were allowed.

I understand the NEC code says you cannot use an extension cords in a permanent situation. The inspector defined permanent to be anything in place over 24 hours.

In our new space (different jurisdiction) we need to be able to wire practicals. I have tried to look into it and cannot find an online authority to get an opinion. I have reread the NEC 520 code. It seems to me you can use cords (SOOW or SJOOW). How should I wire needed onstage receptacles or switches wire with cord to portable shoe-box dimmers or a 20 amp distribution point. I want to get this correct so that I do not get flagged by an inspector in our new space. We will have this installed under 30 days for a production run. If cable can be used, what type is alright to use, SOOW or SJOOW?

Is this community theater? You get inspected for every show?

I used to be heavily involved in local community theatre; ; if that happened here there would be no shows in low budget theater spaces.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Inspector is just plain wrong, if local code does exist, it is very impractical. NEC allows flexible cord and specifically mentions it for portable equipment. If the show packs up and leaves anything they take with them is definitely a part of the portable equipment. Equipment that stays in fixed location in the theater regardless of who is performing isn't part of this portable equipment.

There is also, IIRC no time limit on "portable". I helped rewire a theater and the lighting pack area was a jumble of flexible cord. It was permanent, but any given circuit might be wired to any given pack depending on the needs of the show.

kwired

Electron manager
There is also, IIRC no time limit on "portable". I helped rewire a theater and the lighting pack area was a jumble of flexible cord. It was permanent, but any given circuit might be wired to any given pack depending on the needs of the show.
I wouldn't think there would be, whether a 520 application or anything else for that matter.

gadfly56

Occupation
Is this community theater? You get inspected for every show?

I used to be heavily involved in local community theatre; ; if that happened here there would be no shows in low budget theater spaces.

It sounds like they are a road company.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It sounds like they are a road company.

I don't think so. Among other things he says "...in our new space...". I think they are moving from one space to another and the new one is in a different jurisdiction.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Thanks when I retire I want to volunteer at our community theater, electricians are in demand I have been told

Your inspector is plain wrong, and sounds like a pain to work with. I do this for a living, and without flexible cord and plug-and-cord connections, theater would not be feasible.

I used to live and work in Chicago - one of the strictest jurisdictions for electrical inspection - and I was told by the fire / electrical inspector that as long as everything was wired properly with SO (hard service) cord, properly sized, properly grounded, and properly secured / strain relieved, there was no time limit on the install.

Don't use zip cord, and make sure wall sconces and the like have proper back boxes. Also make sure you use proper strain relief on your SO cables; Romex clamps are not acceptable. You must use proper cable glands. In short, don't cut corners with the install - and you shouldn't anyway. Stagehands will quickly find ANY weak points in onstage electrical, and your install will quickly end up mangled.

The inspector who was a pain has probably seen lots of shoddy, crappy work in theaters he's inspected. Goodness knows there's plenty of that, especially in community and high school theaters where inexperienced volunteers do most of the work. Do a proper, thorough install, and any reasonable inspector / fire marshal should be OK.

SceneryDriver

gadfly56

Occupation
Thanks when I retire I want to volunteer at our community theater, electricians are in demand I have been told

You'll have to get with the lingo then. If you're the head electrician, you're the "gaffer". Your assistant will be the "best boy" or "best boy electric" (even if female). And I wouldn't wait until you retire; most community theaters are grateful for any time a professional can spare.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

He may have a point of sorts to this extent:
Is he saying that if, for example, you are using a standard table lamp as a prop you cannot take the short cord which is standard for the lamp and plug it into an extension cord rather than directly into a fixed receptacle? If so, then at least you have the recourse of replacing the original lamp cord with a longer cord set which will reach the full distance to a receptacle in a stage pocket?
Even that is, IMHO, not justified, but at least it is not as totally off the wall as stating that there cannot be any SO cordage used under any circumstances.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

590.3 (b)

(B) 90 Days. Temporary electric power and lighting instal-lations shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 daysfor holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

gadfly56

Occupation
590.3 (b)

(B) 90 Days. Temporary electric power and lighting instal-lations shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 daysfor holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

Yes, but 590 doesn't apply here. 520 does.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Your inspector is plain wrong, and sounds like a pain to work with. I do this for a living, and without flexible cord and plug-and-cord connections, theater would not be feasible.

I used to live and work in Chicago - one of the strictest jurisdictions for electrical inspection - and I was told by the fire / electrical inspector that as long as everything was wired properly with SO (hard service) cord, properly sized, properly grounded, and properly secured / strain relieved, there was no time limit on the install.

Don't use zip cord, and make sure wall sconces and the like have proper back boxes. Also make sure you use proper strain relief on your SO cables; Romex clamps are not acceptable. You must use proper cable glands. In short, don't cut corners with the install - and you shouldn't anyway. Stagehands will quickly find ANY weak points in onstage electrical, and your install will quickly end up mangled.

The inspector who was a pain has probably seen lots of shoddy, crappy work in theaters he's inspected. Goodness knows there's plenty of that, especially in community and high school theaters where inexperienced volunteers do most of the work. Do a proper, thorough install, and any reasonable inspector / fire marshal should be OK.

SceneryDriver

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The other thing that occurs to me is that although a show may run for days, weeks, or even months, a given piece of scenery may only be used in one scene and then flown or moved into the wings for the next act or scene. I can just imagine bringing in an electrician between acts to demo one run of conduit and put in a new one!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You'll have to get with the lingo then. If you're the head electrician, you're the "gaffer". Your assistant will be the "best boy" or "best boy electric" (even if female).

IME those are film terms and not used in theater; there's you'd have the Master Electrician (ME), and assistant or two (AME's), and the rest of the electricians.

(Otherwise, SceneryDriver has a very good answer.)

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
IME those are film terms and not used in theater; there's you'd have the Master Electrician (ME), and assistant or two (AME's), and the rest of the electricians.

(Otherwise, SceneryDriver has a very good answer.)

ME and "Electrician" are the terms of art used in theatre. Gaffer and Best Boy are strictly film terms.

Lighting Technicians = "Squints" or "Sparkies"
Audio Technicians = "Noize Boyz" or "Humheads"

SceneryDriver

Craigv

There is a big difference between "no extension cords" and "no cords of any description". I'm not clear whether you were forced to hardware all the practicals or just couldn't use extension cords to them, but both restrictions are NOT driven by NEC. That was a (ridiculous) local restriction.

For code requirements regarding portable cords usages (SO vs SJ, etc.), see article 520.68.

When advancing a show, your company should include contacting the AHJ to determine which NEC code cycle is in effect, and whether the locale's code law includes any amendments or modifications. Getting a copy of these amendments would make your life much easier. Having copies of each Code book handy helps too, even though 520 doesn't really have a lot of changes. Being able to show an inspector the book to ask which article applies lets them know you're on your game and take things seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.