Living under power lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryd385

The question has been posed to me about the effects of living under High tension power lines. Is there a health hazard and does it have any effect on the electrical controls on household appliances? I have read various articles, but have not found any solid answers.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have never seen any published results of a scientific investigation. But I have heard stories, rumors, and claims. I treat them all as proclamations that ?the sky is falling.? So the actual, only, final, absolute truth, based entirely on my own opinion :rolleyes: , which is never to be questioned :wink: , is that there is no hazard, no health threat, and no impact on clock radios, computers, or pet rocks.

Inspectorcliff

over head

over head

larryd385 said:
The question has been posed to me about the effects of living under High tension power lines. Is there a health hazard and does it have any effect on the electrical controls on household appliances? I have read various articles, but have not found any solid answers.
There was a report one time, that it made the cows milk sour, that pastured under it, but they weren't sure if it was the noxious weeds or the power lines and the cows weren't talkin either. In my opinion, No, one probably would have no ill affects, provided he/she kept their distances.:wink:

S'mise

Cant argue with that Seo. :D

There could be a problem with magnetic fields, but people that use cellphones and hairdryers regularly are exposed to much higher exposures.

If you are worried about power lines, I'd say there are more important things to be worried about.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is a lot of sometimes informed speculation about it, but very little in the way of real science. Somewhat like global warming, which incidentally seems to have gone away with the 1+ degree shift in the average temperature lower this past year.

I am not suggesting a slightly lower temperature means anything either, other than that there is very little that we can predict about climate with any accuracy.

celtic

larryd385 said:
. Is there a health hazard and does it have any effect on the electrical controls on household appliances?

I can't answer that...but there is sometimes an issue when selling the home enters the equation ~ like corner lots, people don't line up to buy homes under power lines.

celtic

peter d said:
It can't be any worse than the microwave ovens aka cell phones that people stick next to their noggins every day. ;)

It just costs more and everyone sees the unappealing view :smile:

eljefetaco

Stick tester

Stick tester

Don't have any scientific information, but I know my stick/pen tester lights up every time I go under the Power lines. Doesn't sound good for your molecules.

steelersman

peter d said:
It can't be any worse than the microwave ovens aka cell phones that people stick next to their noggins every day. ;)
which by the way have no negative effects on human health, so power lines aside from maybe being ugly most likely don't pose any ill health effects.

yankj

I have no scientific evidence, but when I was in the Air Force working around radar and ground radio, when I took a leave and got away, I physically felt better. Maybe it was just getting away?
Yes, we bombard ourselves daily with two way radios, cellphones, microwave, etc. etc. Can't be good for us.

celtic

A little bumpage....

PSE&G plans to build a 500-kilovolt line from Hardwick in Warren County, through Sussex and Morris counties, to Roseland in Essex.
Local officials and environmentalists have criticized the power-line plan on several fronts, charging that it presents potential health hazards, will hinder renewable energy efforts and harms property values.

PSE&G has said no direct link has been established between power lines and health issues, and the transmission lines will be designed to "cancel out" the magnetic fields between the 230- and 500-kilovolt lines.
PSE&G pulling end-run on power line, critics say

So what you have is the local yocals booing and hissing and the POCO saying the lines will "cancel each other out" ....and the saga continues.

ItsHot

"line up"

"line up"

I can't answer that...but there is sometimes an issue when selling the home enters the equation ~ like corner lots, people don't line up to buy homes under power lines.
Unfortunately no one is lining up to buy homes at the moment!:D A builder friend of mine just closed on a home last week, he said he lost 65g on the deal!:-?:mad:

JoeKP

I have never seen any published results of a scientific investigation. But I have heard stories, rumors, and claims. I treat them all as proclamations that ?the sky is falling.? So the actual, only, final, absolute truth, based entirely on my own opinion :rolleyes: , which is never to be questioned :wink: , is that there is no hazard, no health threat, and no impact on clock radios, computers, or pet rocks.
love the pet rock :D

Status
Not open for further replies.