Load Bank Sizing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJSmith135

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So the site I work at has a project that part of it involves demoing a load bank to install a new one. During the construction period we need to use a temporary load bank. I am wondering if there are any concerns using an existing load bank that we have on site as the temporary load bank during this period.

Existing we have a set of 2 500KW 480V load banks connected to a 1000KVA 4160-480V delta-delta transformer.

The load bank we already have on site is a portable 2500KW load bank rated for 480V.

Is there a concern putting a 2500KW load bank on a 1000KVA transformer? My thought is as long as procedures are in place to use the load bank, the transformer would not have an overload concern. Off the top of my head I do not know the size of the generators the load bank is supporting, but it will not be used to take on any additional load that the 2 500KW load banks could not have handled. Also an OCPD upstream of the transformer should protect it regardless.

Thank you.

Off hand, I don't see a problem as long as the transformer is properly protected and there are procedures that don't allow for (much) overloading. How much overload and for how long depends on the transformer and conditions.

Is the load-bank side of the transformer floating or grounded? Mostly curious on that.

AJSmith135

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Off hand, I don't see a problem as long as the transformer is properly protected and there are procedures that don't allow for (much) overloading. How much overload and for how long depends on the transformer and conditions.

Is the load-bank side of the transformer floating or grounded? Mostly curious on that.

Offhand I am not sure. I would assume so but I don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.