Load Calc. for Exit/Emergency Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbright28

Is there a good VA number to use for emergency lights, exit lights, & combination emergency/exit lights?

The reason I ask this is because the engineer he has guess for this VA load on the panelboard schedules, and I want to figure out/ find out how or what to use for emergency lights, exit signs, and the combo lights.

Thanks in advanced

If there is another thread that answers this question - please point me to it.

rr

There are several factors to consider.

Are the Exit Signs LED's? Incandescent? Self-Luminous? What type of emergency lighting are we talking about? Bug-Eyes? Fluorescent fixtures with battery packs? Inverters?

Go back to that engineer and demand cutsheets for your loads. :)

rzuffi

Emergency (EM) lighting is usually set up along the paths of egress. Although some juristications require more EM lighting than just the paths of egress.

There is no such thing as guessing VA and there is no 'good VA number' to use. Its a calculation. It is basically adding the total wattage of each emergency light fixture and exit signs on a circuit. If you are sizing a breaker then its a different story, but for a straight up VA calculation, take total wattage of the emergency items on that circuit. Most electrical power calculations are cut and dry.

FYI:
- Most new exit signs nowadays are 5W each.
- Emergency lights will be the same wattage as the regular light fixture of the same type. Say you have a fixture labeled as 'F1' and it is 100W The emergency version of that 'F1' fixture would still be 100W.

starbright28

(I hate it when you time out and loose what you just written in a post)

I understand egress lighting, and when regualar lights are used for emergecny purposes also, you count them as you would doing a lighting calc.

I have information for the exit light and emergency bug lights.

the exit lite is from dual lite
it is led.
there is 2 listing for wattages.
Red AC only: 2.6 watts
Emergency: 2.8

As for the emergency wall pack light, it said 25 watt lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.