Load center splicing article 312.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, we have installed a panel upgrade for a client and the inspector failed the job due to one wirenut splice in the load center, that was used to extend a branch circuit far enough to reach the breaker. I have never been called on this before? When I talked with him on the phone he stated that there was a proper splicing connector that was required to be used rather than a wirenut? Does anyone have any clue what this connector is called? I would hate to fail the inspection again over one connector.

Thank You in advance for your help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Inspector is incorrect. art. 312.8 says you can do it and there is no special device. Ask him for a code article that says what he is stating

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello all, we have installed a panel upgrade for a client and the inspector failed the job due to one wirenut splice in the load center, that was used to extend a branch circuit far enough to reach the breaker. I have never been called on this before? When I talked with him on the phone he stated that there was a proper splicing connector that was required to be used rather than a wirenut? Does anyone have any clue what this connector is called? I would hate to fail the inspection again over one connector.

Thank You in advance for your help.

I don't have clue what that is called and the inspector doesn't have a clue what it says in 312.8.

I agree, and did bring up article 312.8. His response was "they make a special connector I'm not sure what it's called but it is made for a splice in a load center and it is designed for a more permanent connection". I even had the Manufacturer of the panel call him and confirm it was ok. I'm glad I am not the only one that disagrees with him, thanks for the input fellas. Just wanted to find out if there was something that I was missing out on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree, and did bring up article 312.8. His response was "they make a special connector I'm not sure what it's called but it is made for a splice in a load center and it is designed for a more permanent connection". I even had the Manufacturer of the panel call him and confirm it was ok. I'm glad I am not the only one that disagrees with him, thanks for the input fellas. Just wanted to find out if there was something that I was missing out on.

He cannot red tag you without having some code article or manufacturer info that says otherwise. I have never heard of such an animal---make him show it to you or tell him the wirenuts you use are rated for panels...LOL

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Did 312 used to read differently? We used to get called for this frequently, like back in the 2005 code days, but that's not the case anymore. Not that I ever heard of the 'special connector'.

iwire

Staff member
Did 312 used to read differently? We used to get called for this frequently, like back in the 2005 code days, but that's not the case anymore. Not that I ever heard of the 'special connector'.

It did read differently but the meaning has remained the same

Here it is from 2008

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be
used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors
feeding through or tapping off to other switches or
overcurrent devices,
unless adequate space for this purpose is
provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any
cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional
area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall
not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than
75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space

People would stop reading too soon and assume you could not splice.

jaggedben

Occupation
It did read differently but the meaning has remained the same

Here it is from 2008

People would stop reading too soon and assume you could not splice.

Thanks.

I wonder if the whole clause after 'unless' was added later than the part before it. Some of those inspectors were probably started their careers when the current code cycle was, like, 1975.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks.

I wonder if the whole clause after 'unless' was added later than the part before it. Some of those inspectors were probably started their careers when the current code cycle was, like, 1975.

I really do not know.

That said I kind of doubt the NEC ever prohibited a splice in an electrical cabinet. It makes no sense at all to prohibit them. I really think it is just some weirdness some have about a splice in a panel as a sign of bad work.

iwire

Staff member
Which it may well be in new construction, but not. IMHO, in a service change.

Why is a splice in an electrical cabinet bad work in any instance?

Just something that always puzzled me, in new work it could happen easily if you decide to run two home runs for the same circuit.

jaggedben

Occupation

peter d

Which it may well be in new construction, but not. IMHO, in a service change.

Funny you mention that. I was looking at a new house recently and the electrician had a few home runs hanging in front of the panel that were short. They were long enough to get inside the panel, but too short to reach the breakers or neutral buss. If I opened that panel later on and saw wire nuts on those circuits, I would just assume the run was short. That is the sign of an easily corrected mistake, not hack work.

JFletcher

I really do not know.

That said I kind of doubt the NEC ever prohibited a splice in an electrical cabinet. It makes no sense at all to prohibit them. I really think it is just some weirdness some have about a splice in a panel as a sign of bad work.

Well, not that many inspectors are familiar with or probably came from a datacom background, but since I did, a splice = fail. It means you screwed up somewhere. Granted this is not NEC code, just the way I was trained. It was a bit hard to unlearn that mindset when I started doing electrical, but I managed. :p

Splices are ofc allowed in panels. They don't have to be irreversible either, which the inspector may be thinking.

user 100

Hello all, we have installed a panel upgrade for a client and the inspector failed the job due to one wirenut splice in the load center, that was used to extend a branch circuit far enough to reach the breaker. I have never been called on this before? When I talked with him on the phone he stated that there was a proper splicing connector that was required to be used rather than a wirenut?.

I agree, and did bring up article 312.8. His response was "they make a special connector I'm not sure what it's called but it is made for a splice in a load center and it is designed for a more permanent connection". I even had the Manufacturer of the panel call him and confirm it was ok. I'm glad I am not the only one that disagrees with him, thanks for the input fellas.

Most certainly he was referencing a permanent joint like a crimp, like these listed here.......

......and in which case the inspector needs to step out of 1960 and bravely enter the 21st century- or he needs to retire. Nothing special imho about those, for residential cccs they are just an expensive and antiquated way to splice- they are still great for egcs though.

We're not talking about a high vibration industrial environment w/ stranded wires. They wouldn't provide any benefit over wire nuts for the application in the op.

Why is a splice in an electrical cabinet bad work in any instance?.

It isn't- and impo, anybody who insists on pulling a new run of nm to avoid a wire nut in a panel has issues and is wasting material.

If this inspector has an issue about the permanence of wire nuts in a panel, then I wonder how he feels about the wire nuts capping all those joints everywhere in the same house- are they permanent enough for him?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.