load side of disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman2

Sure, transfer switch feeding a 400a fused disconnect with 2 - 500kcmil per phase, feeding off the line side of that 400a fused disconnect it shows 2 - 500kcmill per phase feeding another 400a fused disconnect, it also shows 1 - #6 per phase to a mini power center. Each 400a fused disconnect load side feeds 3 motors. This is how the drawing show it. Hope this helps.

raider1

Staff member
Ok I think I have a better understanding of the situation.

The #6 conductors tap off the line side of the 400 amp disconnect and terminate on a mini power center. Is this correct?

What is the size of the upstream overcurrent protective device ahead of the 400 amp disconnect? How long are the #6 conductors and what do they terminate on?

They may be compliant if you comply with one of the tap rules located in 240.21(B).

Chris

transman2

Chris,
Its outside and the mini power panel has a 30amp main. Upstream transfer switch is either 600 or 800 amps not sure due to engineer changing his mind. So I believe 240.21 (B)(5)applies. I cant remember seeing different size wire and lugs on line or load side of anything. I guess they might have to do a trough and then tap.???

raider1

Staff member
Chris,
Its outside and the mini power panel has a 30amp main. Upstream transfer switch is either 600 or 800 amps not sure due to engineer changing his mind. So I believe 240.21 (B)(5)applies. I cant remember seeing different size wire and lugs on line or load side of anything. I guess they might have to do a trough and then tap.???

Correct, they may have to install a tap block in a wireway to accomplish this.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It helps a great deal that all this is outside as 240.21(B)(5) in the most lenient.
I agree that proper termination (rated lugs) may be the biggest hurdle.
Also note the general wording of 240.21 prevents you from "tapping a tap", so if you overcome all other obstacles, the connections would have to be made at the termination of full size conductors such as at the first switch or tap block.

Status
Not open for further replies.