load side tap, Ampacity of subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

Been a loooong time since i did a loadside tap.

Existing system:
150A main breaker in MBO MSP (no busbar)...... feeds #1/0 CU feeder conductors ......which feed a MLO (no main breaker, nor opportunity for one) 125A:dunce: rated s.p.

I plan to tie in 40A of PV onto the above #1/0 feeder with a (N) 2p60 fused disco and #6 conductors.

If above s.p. were replaced with 200A rated load center, are we good?

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If the new 200A sub has a 175A main breaker then yes, in my opinion. Otherwise no, because the 1/0 isn't rated for 190A.

Another option: put in a 200A rated sub instead of your disco, and put breakers in it for the existing sub (125A) and solar. It's not a tap anymore, but is likely also doable.

Zee

Could you do a line side tap at the MSP? Probably enough room. Grouping service disconnects would be easier and you’d be within 10’.

good idea, but not possible. no room on bus between meter and main breaker. also gets into voiding mfctr warranty or whatever. basically tampering with original equipment which the AHJ doesn't like.

pv_n00b

Been a loooong time since i did a loadside tap.

Existing system:
150A main breaker in MBO MSP (no busbar)...... feeds #1/0 CU feeder conductors ......which feed a MLO (no main breaker, nor opportunity for one) 125A:dunce: rated s.p.

I plan to tie in 40A of PV onto the above #1/0 feeder with a (N) 2p60 fused disco and #6 conductors.

If above s.p. were replaced with 200A rated load center, are we good?

It's 705.12(B)(2) 1 & 2 that covers this. Basically, anything on the load side of the feeder tap has to be rated for 150+40*1.25= 200A. That includes the existing feeder and the sub-panel. In this case, your problem area is the #1/0 conductor since it's not rated for 200A.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It's 705.12(B)(2) 1 & 2 that covers this. Basically, anything on the load side of the feeder tap has to be rated for 150+40*1.25= 200A. That includes the existing feeder and the sub-panel. In this case, your problem area is the #1/0 conductor since it's not rated for 200A.
That was changed in the 2014 NEC. It's now in 705.12(D)(2)(1)(a) or (b). (a) says what you are saying, but (b) says that an OCPD on the load side of the connection rated not greater than the ampacity of the feeder will suffice. Pick (a) or (b).

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That was changed in the 2014 NEC. It's now in 705.12(D)(2)(1)(a) or (b). (a) says what you are saying, but (b) says that an OCPD on the load side of the connection rated not greater than the ampacity of the feeder will suffice. Pick (a) or (b).

Pv_noob was quoting the 2017 NEC. 705.12(B) and (C) were removed so the old (D) became (B). The content relevant to this thread didn't change though, iirc.

pv_n00b

OP did not state an NEC version preference so I use the latest version, 2017. If the OP puts a 150A main breaker in the new load center then the feeder conductor is good. So add a main breaker or replace feeder, whichever is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.