Load side tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The utility did not allow a load side tap previously, so it has never been an issue, but they have since changed their opinion.

My questions are, do I treat this like a feeder tap and size it per 240.21 or is it a branch circuit and install it per 210.19 & 210.20 or do I use 705.12? And what does the last part of 705.12(A) mean?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Do you mean line side tap?
The first thing to realize is that it is a tap in name only. Since the conductors are protected at the supply by suitable OCPD there are no tap rules to follow. Just the inverter output circuit sizing rules for PV apply.

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The last part of 705.12(A) means that the total backfeed (times 125%) is limited to the ampacity of the service.

Like Golddigger, I'm unclear what you're really asking about.

The 2014 code has particular rules for feeder taps, which are a lot more clear and explicit than the 2013 CEC.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There is no OCPD for the solar conductors.

They attached their #10 conductors on the load side of the meter, to the conductors that go from the top of the meter to the main breaker.

Yes, except I'm not in the 2014, nor do I have a copy.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Load and Line refers to the service disconnecting means, not the meter, so this is line side.

There needs to be an OCPD for the solar, but it can be a fused disconnect in another enclosure.

If they actually modified the bussing on a residential meter-main combo as suggested by your image, you'd be justified in asking whether that violates the manufacturer's listing. Usually this is only done where the meter and main are separate pieces of equipment with field wiring connecting them. (Or, on large systems, the tap is either done at existing holes or bolts approved by the manufacturer, or it's field listed by UL or someone similar.)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's the load side if you're the utility and since it's in their enclosure that's what I've been referring to it as.

Nope no fused disconnect.

Thanks.

shortcircuit2

It's the load side if you're the utility and since it's in their enclosure that's what I've been referring to it as.

Nope no fused disconnect.

Thanks.

The installers connection needs to be load side of the meter for NET metering. This is just a line side connection ahead of the existing service disconnecting means. From the installers connection he has to land those new service entrance conductors in a new service disconnection means with proper overcurrent protection, etc...just like any service disconnecting means. Follow the laundry list of requirements in article 230 regarding this.

SolarPro

What you're describing is a a supply-side connection per NEC 705.12(A).

You can call it a load-side connection, if you like. But to anyone who works with parallel connected electric power production sources (solar, wind, energy storage), a load-side connection is made at some point after the service disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.