Load Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Thanks hillbilly1. I believe this is the best way to go for what I’m looking to do. I was getting tripped up looking for a 50amp relay to drive the 50amp contractors. The relay you suggested is only a 10amp. By far the vast majority of electrical that I work with is strictly residential. I’ve done some light industrial but have only worked with controls a handful of times. So, I appreciate the suggestions.
Pretty simple to do, since you are using threeways to control this, which would probably be in or near other switches that control power can be pulled from (15 or 20 amp) Or install a fuse off the 50 amp circuit to protect the control circuit. Then you are just breaking the 50 amp circuit through the contactor
Coil for the rib relay is powered from the three way circuit, same hot feeding the three ways will tie to the common on the rib relay contact, with N/O going to one 50 amp contactor coil, N/C going to the other 50 amp contactor coil.

Todd0x1

The way I was suggesting to do it eliminates the pilot relay by switching one contactor coil with the aux contacts on the other. Then your 3-way switch circuit simply directly switches one contactor coil. 50A IEC contactors with aux contacts run about $45/ea. I was adding the mechanical interlock (which is another $10 or something) simply for some added protection to prevent both contactors from being on at the same time. I guess that could be optional.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So tie both outlets directly to the supply circuit.
That's what I would do: Have a single 50a circuit supply two 50a receptacles.

If you want isolation, use a QO sub-panel and a QO2DTI thusly:

Mount it in the rarely-used kitchen, and switch it when you are cooking.

1592195937842.png

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Thanks everyone for your input. Let me better explain what I’m working with and exactly what I’m wanting to do.

I have a 400amp service to my home. I have no electrical panels or sub panels on the interior, they are all located at the meter. My wife recently ordered a new Tesla, so I need to install the charger. it is the gen 3 charger which can operate at a range of amperages, 60amps being the highest.

We have a guest room above our garage with a kitchenette that very rarely is used, but is used from time to time.The electrical panels are on the complete opposite side of the house. To get a circuit for the charger to the garage from the panel would be quite the undertaking as it would travel under the house to the opposite side then trench uphill to the garage. I haven’t measured it exactly, but this would make this run around 200’ long. Not to mention tearing half the yard up.

The kitchenette I mentioned has a slide in range on a 50amp circuit. Since it is rarely used, I was looking to branch off of this circuit to the charger, which will be directly beneath it in the garage, and use a DPDT contractor with a 120VAC coil operated from 3 way switches, one in the guest room and the other in the garage.

My trouble has been in finding either a 50amp AC SPDT or DPDT relay to operate the different configurations of contractors that could be made. 40amps AC is the largest I’m finding. I think someone mentioned in a comment above about this and wondering if there had been a change with something since 50amp doesn’t seem available anymore.

Anyhow, this is where I’m at. Thanks again!
...with this post of yours, I now see what you’re trying to accomplish, ingenious,......tips hat

Status
Not open for further replies.