Local Electrical Codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Quick question.. Where would one go to find information about local codes that trump the Codes in the NEC? Any thoughts? Do I need to Verbally discuss this with city inspections depts? Do Cities have their own local code book??

mcclary's electrical

Quick question.. Where would one go to find information about local codes that trump the Codes in the NEC? Any thoughts? Do I need to Verbally discuss this with city inspections depts? Do Cities have their own local code book??

Where ever you're pulling your permit, that's who you question about "grey" areas or local amendments.
Along with fire marshall, health department, and whatever else it relates to

If the local jursidiction has actually made amendmants they will located in their local muni codes as they are here in Fremont, CA.

There are LOTS of things that get enforced by inspectors that I know that are "policy". While not legally enforcable the inspectors that do this know that contractors will comply just so they can get their installs passed. I personally don't like policy calls because I can't back them up with code/law.

radiopet

Refer to the Statewide Building Code which is the top teir of local municipal enforcement and then the IBC or/and IRC as well that in turn make reference to the compulary documents of the NFPA (ie: NFPA 70 in your case).

Local municipals ( like Richmond,VA ) do not have formal MADE UP requirements that we keep close in a special vault in City Hall. We ( like many I am sure ) use all documents involved in the municpal process to enforce code standards. Fully understanding that the Minimum standards can be exceeded.

Simply ask your local municipal if they have any special requirments other than what is in the USBC, IBC, IRC and NEC and they will gladly enlighten you. Hopefully when a disagreement exists the municipal has someone very educated in their office that can assist you with understand the interpretation needed to complete the project.

Best of luck....

rjvanwart

Local Electrical Codes

Local Electrical Codes

Always call the local governmental agency first and speak with the Authority Having Jurisdiction. Since the NEC is adopted in all 50 States local codes can be more restrictive but not less restrictive than the NEC. Also verify which code cycle that governmental agency has adopted. Not all agencies are using the most current edition. It is also important to know that in some cases the NEC is less restrictive than the manufacturers installation practices. This is evident when it comes to bonding of CSST gas supply lines. Awareness is key in installing safe electrical systems.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Always call the local governmental agency first and speak with the Authority Having Jurisdiction. Since the NEC is adopted in all 50 States local codes can be more restrictive but not less restrictive than the NEC. Also verify which code cycle that governmental agency has adopted. Not all agencies are using the most current edition. It is also important to know that in some cases the NEC is less restrictive than the manufacturers installation practices. This is evident when it comes to bonding of CSST gas supply lines. Awareness is key in installing safe electrical systems.

Is the NEC adopted in all 50 states?

Not always. There's one amendment here that is less restrictive.

Same here in NJ. Several local amendments on the state level relax the requirements of the NEC.

G0049

When you call the AHJ, be sure to ask if they have more than one code. Michigan, for example, uses the 08 NEC, with state amendments, for everything except 1 and 2 family dwellings. For those they use the 2006 edition of the Michigan Residential Code. The electrical section of the MRC is based on the 05 NEC.

Mulrooney

Years ago I did a 1000 amp 3 phase overhead service upgrade from 600 amp.
When the inspector showed up he said we have an ordinance in this town that only underground services are allowed on commercial/ industrial buildings. It was a huge dollar mistake if I was going to change it. The ground was solid ledge and I had installed the wrong gear for underground. I told him since he didn't inform me when I pulled my permit he could kiss my you know what. Never heard another thing about it.

cadpoint

One of my biggest pet peeve's with this web site is that not one is not required to state their location, so a lot of information is presented that's not relavent!

If you want a direct answer than state where you are... ;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Years ago I did a 1000 amp 3 phase overhead service upgrade from 600 amp.
When the inspector showed up he said we have an ordinance in this town that only underground services are allowed on commercial/ industrial buildings. It was a huge dollar mistake if I was going to change it. The ground was solid ledge and I had installed the wrong gear for underground. I told him since he didn't inform me when I pulled my permit he could kiss my you know what. Never heard another thing about it.

Not my job to tell you what the code says, only my job to verify that you installed it correctly. Also I don't issue permits so I probably didn't even know you were doing the job until you called for inspection. Of course on an upgrade that size I would have required a single line and a load calculation and I would have been asking you why you were doing it.

hurk27

The NEC is not enforceable, it is just a reference that states and local law makers can use to make into law or code to which we have to follow, without this it is no more enforceable then a officer telling you you can watch TV out in your yard, building codes are law and have to be adopted as such to be enforceable, this is why we will hear the expression that the NEC is a model code.
for it to be adopted into law it must have public input as well go through all the same requirements that any law has to, this is why in many cases some local requirements can be beat in court because someone one day just though it would be a good idea to start enforcing a requirement without going through all the proper procedures required by law to adopt a code or set of codes.

Some of these law making procedures are in the Constitution of The United states as well as in our states constitution.

One of these requirements is they must be made available to the public upon request. now here in Indiana we don't have any local building codes, we only have one set of codes that are state wide, although we have some towns and city's who will try to play us and say they have adopted this or that, they don't have a leg to stand on, and if your smart and learn what is or isn't allowed in your area or state, you can stop allot of inspectors from enforcing their wishes.

I have all the Indiana law codes that pertain to building codes on my computer, and I don't hesitate on minute to hand a copy to an inspector who tries this with me, as I feel I have a moral obligation to not only protect my interest in a job, but that of my customer also, but in most cases I leave it up to my customer as to how they want it handled since it is them paying the bill, and them who will in some cases have to wait until it gets resolved before they can get their occupancy permit. but I do think it is very important for any contractor to learn more then just the NEC, as there are the laws that we must also know if we are going to provide the best service to our customers that we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.