Local news mystery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnGuyLandSparky

This article appeared on a local news website. I am curious as to how the loss of a neutral to a center tapped 120/240v residential transformer could possibly have a detrimental effect on a 220v residential central a/c unit? (Note that I have yet to see any residential a/c unit that ran on anything other than 240v.)

(09/04/07) NORTH MASSAPEQUA - Homeowners put their expensive electronics out for the trash in North Massapequa Tuesday after they claim power surges fried their appliances.

A Long Island Power Authority spokesperson told News 12 Long Island, "a defective connection to a transformer in the area could have led to irregular voltage, which could have caused the surges."

Edward Skelton had to throw out several appliances from his family's North Oak Street home, including a new dishwasher, humidifier and radio. Neighbors lost refrigerators, computers and central air units as well.

"I'm looking conservatively at $10,000 in damages with just the stuff I know," Skelton said.

LIPA said it would investigate homeowners' claims before paying for damages potentially caused by power surges.

The LIPA spokesperson also said the problem was fixed Monday. Residents worried about their safety hope that's the case.

"It's a big concern something will happen and get a fire in the walls, and there goes the house," Skelton said.

mdshunk

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I am curious as to how the loss of a neutral to a center tapped 120/240v residential transformer could possibly have a detrimental effect on a 220v residential central a/c unit? (Note that I have yet to see any residential a/c unit that ran on anything other than 240v.)
They're probably talking about the indoor portion (air handler, furnace, etc.), which are typically 120V unless it's a heat pump AHU. There's generally a "board" in these things, and the more modern one's use a pretty high tech electronic GE ECM motor.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
According to the article, it said line surges were responsible for the losses, not open neutrals.

I suppose it would take a pretty nice surge to wipe out an A/C motor, but it's not outside the realm of reason, IMO.

mdshunk

georgestolz said:
According to the article, it said line surges were responsible for the losses, not open neutrals.
I'd rather think they were putting it into simple terms people can easily grasp. Surge to the layman can be an open neutral to an electrician. It's easier to get your point across to the general public sometimes if you spare the details.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I understand that, but I was trying to point out that not all equipment destruction is due to open neutrals. Y'all have immediately jumped to the conclusion that thw writer (or the POCO) was dumbing it down for Peoria. ;)

mdshunk

georgestolz said:
I understand that, but I was trying to point out that not all equipment destruction is due to open neutrals. Y'all have immediately jumped to the conclusion that thw writer (or the POCO) was dumbing it down for Peoria. ;)
They were.

Status
Not open for further replies.