Locating conduit bodies under exterior decking and 314.29

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I agree.

So as far as Larry's j-box hidden behind the cabinet all we really need is a note on the box of Wheaties that says "Hidden j-box located in wall behind this cabinet, and, a cold beer in the fridge for when you finally locate it".

JAP>

I'd put a self chilling beer can in the wall next to the j-box :) :)

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
For this access panel the two screws have to be removed in order to drop the panel, who considers this rendering items above it inaccessible?

View attachment 2564938
IMHO that is clearly an access panel and the items above are thereby accessible. Fine per electrical code.

But those look like drywall screws and from experience after a few uses the trim will be split or the screw heads will have gone all the way through. I have such access panels in my house and I'd really want better attachment hardware....

-Jon

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Hey all. I just sat down with three beers and a box of Wheaties and read this through a couple times ;)

So I think the most clear cut approach is to request an access panel in the deck over the one required J-box, and install unbroken conduit runs from there. It will involve a little more fab work but thems the breaks.

Thanks for all the input!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Hey all. I just sat down with three beers and a box of Wheaties and read this through a couple times ;)

You must have went on a service call at that house Larry worked on,,,what was it like getting that cabinet off the wall?? LOL. :)

Jap>

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
@winnie randomly found out they do actually make a conduit "T piece" like the one you were thinking of ... only problem is they are $55 bucks a pop. But hey at least they're "explosion proof", whatever that means! See ET288 below...

jap

Occupation
Electrician
@winnie randomly found out they do actually make a conduit "T piece" like the one you were thinking of ... only problem is they are $55 bucks a pop. But hey at least they're "explosion proof", whatever that means! See ET288 below...

Means rated for use in hazardous locations.

Jap,>

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Interesting question. Raising a screwed-down deck board can be compared to removing a section of drywall that will not be mudded. Is that removing or damaging closed-in by the structure or finish?

I once placed a J-box behind an upper kitchen cabinet to repair a damaged NM cable. I only had to remove six screws to lower the cabinet: two in the studs, two into each neighboring cabinet.
No one would ever think to take the cabinet down to look for a hidden box. Better to cut a box into a corner of the cabinet and run the wiring to it. Some chance of being found.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
No one would ever think to take the cabinet down to look for a hidden box. Better to cut a box into a corner of the cabinet and run the wiring to it. Some chance of being found.
Or back of it not behind it. I do this when someone does plugmould kitchens is I run to junction boxes behind the stove, sink, behind the fridge, and last my choice is in the back of a cabinet without drawers.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Or back of it not behind it. I do this when someone does plugmould kitchens is I run to junction boxes behind the stove, sink, behind the fridge, and last my choice is in the back of a cabinet without drawers.
Oh yea, I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.