Location of a 2nd Ground Rod for a Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I am a retired Electrician/Electrical Inspector. I am having the Main Service Electrical Panel upgraded/replaced and need an idea on the best location for a 2nd ground rod for the Main Service Ground. Currently it is a "mess" under the existing panel right now from the original installation (3/4" Copper Water Line) in 1979. A 10-year-old Ground Rod for the Solar System and a Telephone Ground. I plan on having a New Ground Rod Driven directly under the new 225 Amp Panel and need an opinion on where to drive the second one. I could go to the right 6-8 ft of the panel and there is nothing there. Or I could go to the left and go about the same distance and then I then could be able connect a Bonding/Grounding Conductor (# 4 Solid Bare) in one continuous length to connect everything together.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Only the GEC to the first rod needs to be unbroken.

Jumpers can connect the rest, but your idea will save on hardware.

All electrodes, power and LV, should be joined together.

darkenergy

Occupation
semi-retired electrician
Welcome to the forum.

Only the GEC to the first rod needs to be unbroken.

Jumpers can connect the rest, but your idea will save on hardware.

All electrodes, power and LV, should be joined together.
" Only the GEC to the first rod needs to be unbroken."

You have probably forgotten more than i will ever learn.

1st Energy, (WV & PA) as well as Duquesne Light Co. in PA, treat & specify ground rods as "One Continuous", in Their respective Text parts of "Customer Guide/Installation Rules/Electrical Service"

Just my 2¢

NOT gonna mention that bigger than #6 copper is NEVER required, going to the ground rods only, to my understanding.

Corrections welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.