Location of a concrete encased electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdiv

Electrical Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I have always thought that the horizontal rebar used as a concrete encased electrode had to be "near the bottom" of the footing or foundation. Now it has brought to my attention that the "near the bottom" part went away in the 2011 NEC. I haven't had a chance yet to go dig for the substantiation. Does anyone know why they removed the wording? And would tying on to rebar in the top of a foundation wall really suffice?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Does it still say 'in the footing?" That would eliminate the foundation wall as an option. Can it be in the floor slab? I know it has to be un-coated, bare iron.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My guess is that there is no definition of "near the bottom" and in fact it doesn't matter where it is in the footing as long as it's encased in concrete.

jdiv

Electrical Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Inspector
250.52(a)(3) - ..."and shall be located horizontally within that portion of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth..."
It doesn't seem to specify in the footing but just gives it as an option. I'm thinking you could argue that any 20'+ section of rebar in the wall could be used as long as the wall touches dirt.

kwired

Electron manager
250.52(a)(3) - ..."and shall be located horizontally within that portion of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth..."
It doesn't seem to specify in the footing but just gives it as an option. I'm thinking you could argue that any 20'+ section of rebar in the wall could be used as long as the wall touches dirt.

...and is not coated with any insulating material. Foundatioin walls with occupied spaces inside often have waterproofing coatings applied to the exterior side, which will inhibit effectiveness of any CEE that may be contained.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Shall be located is not an option. It needs to be in a footer or foundation and the grounding electrode conductor must be connected in that portion of a footing or foundation that is in direct contact with the earth

Status
Not open for further replies.