Location of disconnect switch on roof mounted exhaust fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsuper

I am working on a new wing of a hospital in southern California. There are new roof mounted, mushroom type, exhaust fans, with manufacturer installed switches under the top cover. A screwdriver is required to access the switch. The OSHPD Inspector is requiring an additional disconnect switch to be installed on the outside of the fan enclosure. I believe that the supplied switch is "code compliant" and satisfies the required, motor disconnecting means. Per NEC 404.8 exc#2, switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0m and shall be accessible by portable means. NEC 430.102(B) states that, a disconnecting means shall be located in sight from the motor location and the driven machinery location.

I feel that we are installed per code and need some help convincing the Inspector otherwise.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
430.107 Readily Accessible. At least one of the disconnecting means shall be readily accessible.
ARTICLE 100 Definitions
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.
I suppose the OSHPD Inspector could make the case that removing a screw cover is equivalent to having to "remove obstacles". I think it's a bit of a stretch, personally, but my personal opinion doesn't help you much.

I can tell you that we have been required to add an additional disconnect switch for this type of installation several times (also in southern California). The Inspector's reasoning was different (although at least as screwy): he wanted an additional disconnect mounted independently on the roof. Why? Because what if they have to replace the exhaust fan? Then we would have live conductors going to the disconnect switch, which is being removed as part of the exhaust fan. We tried to explain to the Inspector that, in that case, the Electrician would just turn off the circuit breaker, but he was adamant and the client couldn't afford to wait while we battled it out through the appeals process (90 days minimum before anybody even looks at the appeal).

After this happened to us a couple of times, we started adding those extra disconnect switches to all of our designs. That way the Inspector's happy, the Contractor is able to include the cost up front in his bid, and it's one less unexpected cost/delay at the end of the project for the owner. It may not help for this job, but on future jobs it might be worth it to send the Engineer an RFI about this prior to bidding. That way the Engineer has a chance to tell all bidders to include the additional switches in their bid (so you don't get undercut because of it), and if he/she decides the extra switch isn't required you have a written statement to that effect. Then nobody can claim "you should have known better" when the OSHPD Inspector demands the additional switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.