Location of EES equipment including ATS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I believe there is a requirement somewhere that ATS's are not to be located on outside walls for the Life Safety and Critical, i.e. formerly the Emergency Branches.

I regard it as a bad idea to put them in a basement. But am not aware of any discussion on that.

Where in the NEC (or NFPA 99) is this discussed. Maybe its Informational Note and therefore not strictly speaking a requirement.

Thanks,

Mike

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
Don't know code so sorry in that regards. I can say we do have ones that were recently installed on outside walls (but they are inside the building and not actually attached to outside walls but on uni strut stands.). AHJ did seem to care about elevation.

But keep in mind I'm at a hospital, on the ocean, and in an area with frequent hurricanes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
[quote 700.10(C) Wiring Design and Location. Emergency wiring circuits shall be designed and located so as to minimize the hazards that might cause failure due to flooding, fire, icing, vandalism, and other adverse conditions.
700.12 ... Equipment shall be designed and located so as to minimize the hazards that might cause complete failure due to flooding, fires, icing, and vandalism. ...[/quote]
That is pretty general with no real guidance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
700.10(C) Wiring Design and Location. Emergency wiring circuits shall be designed and located so as to minimize the hazards that might cause failure due to flooding, fire, icing, vandalism, and other adverse conditions.
700.12 ... Equipment shall be designed and located so as to minimize the hazards that might cause complete failure due to flooding, fires, icing, and vandalism. ...
That is pretty general with no real guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.