lock-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

Is there a certian procedure for the placement of keys after you have locked-out a piece of equipment ? If so where can i find the s.o.p. Or regulation? Thanks

480sparky

Off the cuff, I'd say the key stays with the person who installed the lock. Their name should be on the tag.

And it should be key, not keys. LOTO procedure means one key. This prevents someone else from removing the lock.

pfalcon

Special lockout devices allow multiple people to attach to the same location. Also special gangboxes exist where multiple keys are needed to lock out a machine. All the keys go in one box, the box then has multiple points to hook personal locks so that everyone only needs one key and lock. Each man's key stays with that man.

zog

Is there a certian procedure for the placement of keys after you have locked-out a piece of equipment ? If so where can i find the s.o.p. Or regulation? Thanks

OSHA 19109.147 with additional requirements for electrical LOTO control in 1910.333

480sparky

Special lockout devices allow multiple people to attach to the same location. ...........

You mean these.

Lockout-and-Tagout-Devices-for-Circuit-Breakers-Valves-Fuses-and-other-Energy-Sources-from-Cirlock-186151.jpg

dsandberg

LOTO Procedures

LOTO Procedures

NFPA 70E Article 120 provides guidance on this. There are two general situations.
1) Simple procedure wherein a person applies his or her lock and must maintain control of the key or combination.
2) Complex requires a written plan and in this case keys may be controlled by a designate like a foreman. Such may be the case where multiple shifts occur

It's one key, one lock and the person who locked it keeps the key. In order to remove the lock with out the key the electrical super and a member of management must sign off on it. (I keep my key cause i don't want any else consoling my wife:). )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.