Long underground pull advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

We just did a 800' pull with (3) 3/0 and a 2/0 in 2'' pvc. Galvanized 90 at the tugger end. galvanized 45 where we had to change direction. 3/0 set on one reel, 2/0 on aother. 2 guys feeding one guy on the maxis tugger. Ditch witch in all but 60' 30'' deep. Went without issue.

Did a 500' pull on the same job. (4) 2/0 with )3) 2'' 90's, and (2) 45 where we came out of the buiding. Same tugger and motor, but the last 80' or so smoke and a orange glow was coming from the motor, didnt want to risk stopping the pull, so i am sure we ruined the super hawg

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
The amount of friction to overcome is the same whether it's strung out straight in a conduit or you're dragging an entire spool.
(all other things being equal)

But we all know that conduit isn't going to be lying flat on the ground for an entire 800' pull. How many 2-3" elevation changes do you need with 2" conduit to exceed 360 degrees?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Around here directional bore is around $9.00 per ft for 2” hdpe

I agree. Why pull when you can dig a trench and throw in CIC? That would be my first choice. Otherwise I like Larry's idea of directional bore.

So I figure I'll lay 2" PVC to give myself some room.

I agree CIC is great, but it has been extremely difficult to get lately, at least for custom runs. Pre-pandemic I got a quote for a custom CIC run of 4000 feet from southwire. No problem and cost less than the individual components. Tried this summer and they said one year out and 50,000 ft minimum. You can always send the wire to a third party like dura-line and they will extrude the conduit over it for you but it might not be worth it with all the frieght and back and forth. Maybe he can find someone who stocks what he needs as standard, I dunno.

What I would do, is order HDPE conduit (dura-line again, there are others though). You can get it prelubed and with mule tape in it and it will probably be half the cost of PVC. I got 6000 ft for a job recently, 3X2000 runs, good stuff, saves all the gluing and hassle.

...a continuation of the above with some prices:

6,000 ft of 1.5" HDPE conuit was about $7000 delivered, lubed and with 1500# mule tape
That CIC request with duraline this summer was $1.83 to CIC 1.25" over #2 15Kv CN primary, but 10,000 minimum run. Plus frieght both ways.

JoeNorm

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I will not need to break the pull into sections. I am glad I asked.

kwired

Electron manager
If no obstacles plowing the line in is fastest and least cost. There are plows that go that deep. Most guys that do this a lot plow in cable in conduit as well, but you can also plow in an empty HDPE then pull conductors through it afterward if you want.

Working alone most the time I've pulled long runs by leaving end elbow off until after pulling conductors several times.

Just yesterday I pulled 200 feet run of 4/0 three conductors myself. Set up a pulley on the pole and had the reel set up so it pulled right into other end at floor level where that end emerged and put the truck in 4L and pulled. 4L is geared low enough you don't need the accelerator even if traveling up a small incline.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If no obstacles plowing the line in is fastest and least cost. There are plows that go that deep. Most guys that do this a lot plow in cable in conduit as well, but you can also plow in an empty HDPE then pull conductors through it afterward if you want.

Working alone most the time I've pulled long runs by leaving end elbow off until after pulling conductors several times.

Just yesterday I pulled 200 feet run of 4/0 three conductors myself. Set up a pulley on the pole and had the reel set up so it pulled right into other end at floor level where that end emerged and put the truck in 4L and pulled. 4L is geared low enough you don't need the accelerator even if traveling up a small incline.
I don't remember teaching you that method.

Status
Not open for further replies.