Looking for a Code section on reusing existing panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

elminses

I have a project at an industrial plant that has a bunch of 1970 era panels. They are extremely old with lots of overloading and nuisance tripping. The facility has also had an arch flash study done ( the panels are all labeled as potential arc-flash hazardous).

At a previous firm one of the principals used to site a code section NEC/NFPA. I can't remember what it was exactly but it had to do with the reuse of existing panels. If a panel is X number of years old or if it is of year X and prior and any work is done to that panel the whole panel needs to be replaced. If anyone has any idea where this stems from please point me in the right direction.

I'll also except the idea that they guy was crazy and just trying to drum up more design fees for electrical equipment replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is no such requirement in the NEC. I can't imagine there being any such requirement anywhere. That said, if the panels are causing problems, then the costs of outages and repairs might be enough to justify replacements.

Welcome to the forum.

P.S. All panels have arc flash hazards. It is a matter of degree.

elminses

Thanks Charlie!

For some reason it just stuck in my head since working with with my first boss. "For remodeling a space, Panels are grandfathered in, but the moment you do work/change breakers in an old style panel it'll need to be replaced to match current standards."

Oh well guess the guy was just blowing smoke as I can't find this requirement anywhere.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks Charlie!

For some reason it just stuck in my head since working with with my first boss. "For remodeling a space, Panels are grandfathered in, but the moment you do work/change breakers in an old style panel it'll need to be replaced to match current standards."

Oh well guess the guy was just blowing smoke as I can't find this requirement anywhere.

That is a different story. the remodeling codes often state that if you do a certain level of remodeling that the whole part of the structure that is remodeled has to be brought to current codes. Your OP never mentioned anything about remodeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.